Rust on mint

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

My mint bed seems badly infected with rust this year.

I have nowhere else I can relocate it to so advice please. The newest leaves look ok for a while before becoming rusted. Should I harvest them for mint sauce etc and then pull the crop up? And will the disease remain in the soil?
Elmigo
KG Regular

Mint rust is caused by a fungus so perhaps it stays there, but it only affects the mint plant family. Maybe harvest the youngest leaves before they rust (that's what I would do) and pull up the rest of the crop. Don't water overhead as this encourages the fungus to show up, in case you get another mint plant.
Westi
KG Regular

I literally binned my mint yesterday into the council garden bin. It didn't have obvious rust but had white spots on the leaves which were tough & not as pungent as expected. I did split the crop at the end of last year & it looked so promising initially but had to go. I have re-filled the pot with fresh compost & re-sowed from fresh seed rather than my usual rooting on from shop bought or the old plant. Fingers crossed as out of the time frame for sowing, but it's on the back patio so gets more TLC!
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

I just cut mine right down to the ground - the new leaves just grow again and are usually ok.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

Reverting back to rust, I saw an intriguing comment in a Sunday paper today but frustratingly it didn't elaborate so I am none the wiser. The author merely commented that one of the tips she'd learnt on a gardening course she'd attended that "milk and baking powder are good for rust on hollyhocks".

Well, I have rust on my mint AND My hollyhocks, so can anybody please elaborate and advise on how these two ingredients are used to cure or prevent the problem - sprinkled on the leaves?, sprayed on in liquid form? Poured onto the nearby earth?

I've never heard of this one. Does it work? And if so, how? Or just another country tale perpetuated over the years?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic