Only in a couple of tubers but what is this disease?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

This was a stored potato. Stored in the allotment shed.
Harder that I would expect, one can easily feel spuds which are too soft, this was too hard and obviously suffering from something.
IMG_20190319_214229.jpg
IMG_20190319_214229.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 3836 times

There is a bit of slug damage too.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Stephen,
this looks like a virus problem; possibly leaf roll virus. As with most viruses there is no cure. But the good news is that it will not transfer to humans! Here are some tips to prevent it occurring next year.

Do not put any peelings, green tubers or potato plant tops onto your compost heaps; green bin the lot. This will stop the viruses (bacteria or fungus) re-entering the cycle.

Most viruses are transmitted between potato plants by Aphids so keep an eye on your crop this year. If you have enough cover the crop with aphid proof fleece as soon as they are planted and before the foliage emerges. Keep them covered for as long as you can.

Get rid of any volunteer (weed) potatoes that emerge this spring as they may well be infected with the virus.

Buy fresh seed potatoes from a reputable source that is certified. The reason most potatoes are grown in Scotland for seed is that there is much less of an aphid problem because of the cooler weather; it helps to keep them virus free. Do not re-use any of your own potatoes to grow this years crop.

Always grow potatoes on ground that has not had potatoes on for at least two to three years. If you have the distance between your crops and other potato growers and can forgo growing them for a year then do so as the aphids will be less inclined to have the virus to pass on to your crops in future years.

Remove and burn any stunted and/or curled leaf potato plants as they will be infected with something.

Do not divide any potatoes at planting time to eke out the crop. The juices from an infected tuber (and it may not be all that evident) will pass from the knife to the next tuber and only increase the problem.

Hand a nut feeder for the blue tits over the crop as this will encourage the birds to have a look round the potatoes. Blue tits love aphids. Put up a couple of bird boxes with holes of the right size for the blue tits as well. Try to make places that wrens might like to nest in as well.

Hope this helps,
Regards Sally Wright.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Hand a nut feeder for the blue tits over the crop as this will encourage the birds to have a look round the potatoes. Blue tits love aphids. Put up a couple of bird boxes with holes of the right size for the blue tits as well. Try to make places that wrens might like to nest in as well."

Like the idea of using/encouraging nature/wild life to solve growing problems. Certainly going to add this to my notes file, perhaps a post of other ways? Thanks Sally.
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Sally
Thank you very much. That is very comprehensive.

Not every one of your suggestions is easy but I shall try.
    I can certainly fleece the crop.
    Sadly last year's foliage is already in the compost bins.
    I do remove volunteers as they crop up. (I am always astonished at how many small tubers get missed!)
    I have this years tubers already, so have to trust them.
    I do move the spuds around but they are always within the same half-plot. I'm sure I could give the spuds a miss one year or grow fewer in the beds at the other end rather than the open-field section where I have put them inthe past
    I will certainly keep a keen eye out for aphids

A bird feeder - super idea. I will certainly do that.

Thank you again.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic