Lack of fungal diseases on trees and top fruit

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The dry summer has made a marked difference to fungal diseases on plants in general. There is no apple scab this year and the quince tree that usually suffers badly has kept it's leaves and produced a bucketfull of fruit.

It goes to show how our usual damp weather affects our crops especially if we don't use anti fungal sprays.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I am scab free this year too(though I did spray before the flowers buds opened).
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

And we usually get a variety of funghi growing in our lawn and verge at this time of year but apart from one solitary item which looks very much like a mushroom but I'm not going to risk trying to eat it, we've seen nothing so far this autumn. I think our local nature reserve who run a series of Funghi identification walks may not have much in the way of specimens this year.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Our woods and fields are full of fungi at the moment after the first rains in a long time
BM1K7902.JPG
BM1K7902.JPG (298.05 KiB) Viewed 9632 times

Lots of Fly Agaric in the woods.
Geoff
KG Regular

Never seen a plain one like that, ours look like the ones you see with garden gnomes.

fungi.jpg
fungi.jpg (241.25 KiB) Viewed 9617 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

That's a fresh one Goeff, before the mantle splits and shrivels into the familiar white bumps, which then dry and fall off.
Diane
KG Regular

We have a whole tribe of little white mushrooms growing all along the edge of a length of that wood roll stuff, used to keep the border edges tidy. Methinks they are devouring it underground and we'll have to replace it all next year. However, the tomatoes didn't get blight.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Honey Fungus seems to be rampant this year....now that's not good.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Our woods are full of Fly Agaric and lots of other interesting kinds so the mild weather after a bit of rain seems to have brought them out.

Glad the dry summer has lasted long enough to discourage the airborne fungal infections.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How right you are, Plumpudding, could blight be a thing of the past....well maybe that is being a little hopeful but, maybe it wll be back to a weaker strain, as it was getting stronger by the year, over the last few years.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Tiger what do you spray with? I've got scab & canker on my trees, managed to find a way to treat the canker which is time consuming but has already made a difference so another few years of scrapping & painting I should have even better results. Need something for the scab but nothing came up when I searched Mr A?
Westi
JohnN
KG Regular

Hi Westi, Every other year, once the leaves have gone from my Bramley tree, I spray with Amillotox. I've found it pretty good at keeping the tree free of disease and it's said to be good against honey fungus. It's been a terrific year for apples and also my quince tree. I give the quinces away and await the reciprocal jars of jelly and/or chutney!
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers John!

The scab is not too bad, but it needs to be controlled now or it will get worse. I've enough do with the canker, it's time consuming scrapping off the bad bits of the bark, but quite rewarding. I'll order some in & a new sprayer for it so ready, never know it may even help get stop of any new canker spores getting right in the bark.
Westi
Chi’Pasty Ian
KG Regular

Fungus?
Fungus?
F510B0B8-2543-4A85-87E8-AF4FD5D3B0CF.jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 5140 times
Fungus1?
Fungus1?
70E5AF82-7596-458A-B526-F30720DFDDB4.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 5140 times
Fungus2?
Fungus2?
BBF0846D-EC2C-4E9D-9BB2-795619378500.jpeg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 5140 times
Hi all, I just joined today. A complete beginner when it comes to gardening. So please excuse my naivety. I have two apple trees and one pear tree, all about five years old and fruiting in varying proportions each year. My main problems are-
A white furry fungus in clumps on my apple tree and the leaves in places looking very shrivelled.
Brown knobbly clusters where I have cut off largish branches.
That’s on the apple trees.
On the pear tree I get mid summer, small orange and black circles on the leaves. Which I presume are from some pest laying eggs.
I’ve. It used and am very wary of using chemical sprays etc. So any help would be much appreciated. These trees I have moved from pots to being in the ground about three years ago.

Cheers M’dears

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5536

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5535

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5534

Ian
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Ian & welcome to the forum!

I'd love to help but none of my canker or scab look like yours, could be the same of course, but never had the white furry fungus! Hang in there the clever guys on here will be responding very soon!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic