Lack of fungal diseases on trees and top fruit

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm pretty sure the white furry stuff is wooly aphid...give it a rub with you hand and see if it goes a sticky goo, where you have sqaushed the aphids!
Not sure about the brown canker....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Ian,
the brown knobbly bits you are seeing on your trees is Apple Crown Gall. There is no treatment but it rarely proves too damaging to the tree - you should still get a crop. That said it IS infectious and so you should prune the trees with galls after you have pruned any healthy trees you have and then disinfect your pruning tools. Dispose of the prunings by burning or the green bin. If you can remove the affected branches do so but be sensible and do not take the tree back to a stump; it is not that necessary. If the tree is completely covered in the galls and offends thine eye then removal may be an option; but do not replant the space with another apple because of the apple re-plant disease and also the risk of reinfection with the crown gall bacterium.
Regards Sally Wright.
ps the other thing is woolly aphid - squish them using a stiff scrubbing brush whenever you spot them.
Stephen
KG Regular

Welcome Ian.
I'm sorry, I'm better at asking questions than answering them helpfully.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic