dosage rate for liquid feeding of epsom salts

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
Due to the heat, I think, I have been having trouble with magnesium deficiency in my tomatoes and cucumbers. I have bought some epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) to counteract this but I cannot apply to the soil as they are in pots and I cannot foliar feed as I think it much too hot to do that in safety. Sooo what I need is the dosage rate for liquid feeding the epsom salts to my plants. I think it is about a teaspoon to a gallon of water but I cannot remember for sure.
Regards Sally Wright.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Morning Sally

I go for a tablespoon thoroughly dissolved per gallon of water, applied at plant base avoiding leaves. Repeat two weekly if needed

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for raising Sally. I was looking at two of my three cucumber plants recently and thinking the same thing although I wondered whether it might have been triggered by exhaustion as they have been producing enough mini cucumbers to feed the British Army.

Strangely they are all,planted next to each other in a border and the third is still in perfect condition. I do recall I planted them in more or less the same location as last year due to space availability at the time and wonder whether it's not a good idea to do this as some plants may draw more than their fair share of certain minerals etc from the ground.
Gerry
KG Regular

Sally, The Epsom Salt Industry Council says, for house plants, 2 tablespoons per gallon of water; feed plants monthly. They don't seem too concerned about over doseage except "Do not apply to sage as it's one of the few plants that doesn't like Epsom Salts". The application for house plants is the only clear guide to dilution that is contained in the literature that I have.
I have just looked at the Industry web site again and it does indeed say, as PaSnip says, for tomatoes, one tablespoon per gallon applied every two weeks.
sally wright
KG Regular

thanks for that everyone. I have just broken a golden rule in my house and written the info in my Collins book of pests and diseases. I thought if I wrote it on a piece of paper it might fall out. I will write it into the copy at work as well just to be on the safe side!
Regards Sally Wright.
Geoff
KG Regular

Like you say, I can only find advice for treating the soil or foliar feeding. For what it is worth:
3 - 6 ozs per square yard
2 lbs per 10 gallon as a foliar feed with spreader (whatever that means)
"Tomato Growing Today" by Ian G Walls published 1972
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic