Sick Blueberry

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hilary
KG Regular

I am hoping someone can help with my ailing blueberry Chandler. The berries are small and the leaves fewer than expected and also small with a few turning brown. Next to a healthy one it looks very sparse and not well!
I have watered well with rain water and given a feed of Maxicrop Seaweed with iron and foliar spray. It cropped well last year.
It is in a plastic tub with ericaceous compost.

I cannot see anything on line to help. Any ideas, hoping not viral!

Hilary
Monika
KG Regular

Is it the dry weather and the sun beating on the plastic pot? Water, water, water ......
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I think it's been a bit too dry for them. I've got three and one of those looked rather poorly with very small fruits and browning leaves. I've watered it more frequently with rain water and it is looking a lot better. The other two don't seem to dry out as fast.
retropants
KG Regular

this happened to mine a few years ago. One lasted another couple of years after the first did exactly what you describe. I am going to try again next year, I have a mahoosive pot this time! Hope you can save them.
Primrose
KG Regular

I also was going to suggest lack of water and the roots also getting too hot. What colour is the plastic pot?. Darker colours attract the heat. I'd suggest trying to move the pot to a slightly cooler position with more shade if that's the case and possibly longer term repotting it to one of a lighter colour.
hilary
KG Regular

Thank you. I have now shaded the pot. It is a large old cattle mineral lick tub! However I have since discovered on the advice of Simon from Doreset Blueberries that what I thought was a vigorous new blueberry shoot was in fact a rogue Willow establishing itself and taking all the water and nutrients! This has now gone! So I am hoping with a bit of TLC it will recover and already it is looking a bit happier.
Hilary
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh, willows will suck the life and water out of everything within a fair distance, let alone in the same vicinity of a pot so it's good that the problem has been spotted and rectified. I guess you will have to say goodbye to the thought of any crops from it this year but at least you'll know what to look out for in future!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic