What is this?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Louie
KG Regular

This is growing with vigour a few yards away from our fruit/veg plots/raised beds and we cannot yet identify it, so worry whether it may have adverse effect. Any advice will be gratefully received:
It's pretty and right way up.
It's pretty and right way up.
rps20180529_230900.jpg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

It doesn't look like a native to me, so doubt it's going to be a problem, where in the world are you?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

tiger, Looking at the part of the picture with the socket in suggests Louie is in the UK

Doubting it wont be a problem because it doesnt look native reminds me of two plants that were not originally native to the UK, Japanese Knot Weed and Myrophillium (Parrots Feather) aquatic plant. Both have become pests choking up ground and stiffling native species.

To me it looks like a form of chickweed but most common types of that have white flowers so I am not 100% sure..
I would remove it when ground is damp so that you manage to get as much root out as possible

Welcome to the forum Louie

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Could be pink purslane. It grows in woodland near a river here and is said to be edible.
Louie
KG Regular

Thank you everyone. It has covered approx 10sq metres in the last week, in a bed with a tree canopy in which we planted ornamental grasses and creeping thymes last year. Creeping thymes have disappeared! We live in the Galloway hills overlooking the Solway.
Louie
KG Regular

Thank you PLUMPUDDING, looked in my wildflower key and can confirm it is Pink Purslane. I now think I should leave it (but hope that's a good decision),and wonder whether this variety can be used along with our other salad leaves!
Primrose
KG Regular

Ithiught the leaves looked vaguely like honeysuckle leaves but the flowers definitely don,t match up.
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't recognise it but PP's call of Pink Purslane looks good.

I can't make a complete link work but go to this then use the alphabetic dropdown to find Purslane Pink

http://www.wildflowerfinder.org.uk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic