Leaf-curl on young pear tree

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mouse2
KG Regular

Having Googled this, I have now identified aphids - green fly to be precise - as the culprits. There are also ants present, which I presume are 'farming' them.

Any suggestions on the best way to deal with this? I have a systemic pest spray to hand, which I am tempted to use, but if any of you have more experience of this problem, I would really appreciate your input before I use it. :)

Here's a photo of the leaves et the top of the main stem:

Pear.jpg
Pear.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 5577 times
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Mouse2!

They have really taken hold with the assistance of the ants - loads of leaves affected there. Zap them with what you have as at least you have none of that sooty black stuff as yet, but it will come. Also you need those leaves unfurled to catch the sun asap to get strong & grow on.
Westi
Mouse2
KG Regular

Thanks, Westi.

I have been away for a week, and when I left the tree looked perfect - it's incredible how quickly the little critters have established themselves!

I guess tomorrow will be spent trying to uncurl those leaves!
Westi
KG Regular

The fruit tree growing sounds fine until you get problems & then you really have to just go for it & be ruthless.

I had die back on my Victorian plum, scab on my pear, peach leaf curl on my miniature ones - the first 2 have been overcome, the peach will be living in the greenhouse next year. Would have been in there this winter but had missing panes so just as wet in there so put them under the eaves - hmm? The horizontal rain & sleet & snow saw to that great idea!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic