Blight?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

5 days ago I transferred my windowsill-grown tomato plants, 8" high, into the greenhouse to harden them up before planting into grow bags. They have all developed white patches on the edges of the leaves. Is this blight, or something else - I can't find anything to quite match it on the internet. Bit early for blight, isn't it? Would a spray help? Thanks for any advice.
JohnN
KG Regular

Re my Blight post. I've just noticed that the cherry toms, next to the Alicante seem to be unaffected!
Primrose
KG Regular

Seems too early for blight as there would be little planted outdoors at this time of year whose spores could drift inside. Wonder if it,s some kind of fungus caused by being too close to condensation on windows? I’d keep the two varieties as far apart as you can and just monitor.
I’d be a little wary of spraying tender young seedlings with anything as they’re obviously not as resilient as fully grown plants and may suffer shock as a result.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Might it be sun scorch from the nice day we had if they weren't shaded? New leaves are very tender. It certainly isn't blight.
Westi
KG Regular

JohnN - I had to check the date & scroll as thought this was a late summer thread someone had just posted on.

It is not blight, be assured by that, (& shame on you for uttering the word)! :) :) As the others have said they are young & little, it may be one of a number of things - hard water deposits, not enough air circulation or just a response to the move outside? Unless you plan to heat the greenhouse remember to give them a cover overnight initially as they won't like the temp extremes after being in your nice warm house.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Plants sometimes turn very pale/yellow/white if they can't take up nutrients because it is too cold for them, not necessarily frost. I wonder if that is the reason for your white patches, John?
I have moved my tiny tomato plants into the greenhouse, but it is heated to a minimum of 12C, the plants are directly above the heater and covered up with double fleece overnight.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

What is the minimum temperature in your greenhouse?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
JohnN
KG Regular

TB - Not sure as my thermometer doesn't go very low (50 deg). This morning, 8.30, I reckon it's about 18-20 deg. as it's dull and no sun. The white patches have also developed a bit of brown edging, but they don't seem any worse than 48hrs ago.
JohnN
KG Regular

Here's a bad pic of a leaf.
P1010134.JPG
P1010134.JPG (225.22 KiB) Viewed 8070 times
Westi
KG Regular

It would be interesting to definitively know what it is but it is not blight so they can be saved. It could well be like Tiger says, so a bit of fleece or some newspaper over them at night for a week or so might show some improvement.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I had a look in my gardening books and the only thing they came up with for white patches and browning edges was a virus which would be bad news for you and your plants. If your temperature is really 18 - 20 degrees Celsius, it sounds to me as if it is TOO warm rather too cool, especially when the sun comes out. Could the white spots be burns where the sun has acted like a magnifying glass on water drops?
Good luck with the plants, John, whatever it turns out to be!
JohnN
KG Regular

Thank you, Monika. I've sprayed them with a mild solution of Bordeaux mixture, so we'll see.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Scorch

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic