Rust on leeks

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

This year our leeks (Musselburgh and Oarsman) seem to be completely free of rust. I am obviously not complaining but just wonder why? They have been sown around the same time, grown under roughly the same conditions - the only thing I could not control is the weather. So could that be the reason?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

hi Monika

I think the scientific term that answers your leeks lack of rust is ................................................ aren't you the lucky one. :D

Mind you mine didn't get rust this year either .................................. but only cos I had to get rid because of leaf miner

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Monika!

Mine are pretty much rust free as well with just a few spots on the big ones that were harvested earlier, the rest seem OK but they're smaller. I'd be interested to know the answer as well, I don't quite understand some of the diseases that attack our crops & get well confused with the multitude of information when you search for answers, most of which doesn't relate to the UK.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

My leeks are rust free but seem to have suffered tiny disease ,they are the smallest and thinnest ones I've ever grown
Monika
KG Regular

It's just so odd that we have had rust quite badly the last few years and none this year .......
Gerry
KG Regular

No rust on my leeks either.
However the Zermat I grew this year all bolted.

Could it be because I started them off in the poly tunnel? (Then planted them outside).The tunnel has netting for the first two feet all round and netting, full height, on double doors at both ends.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Gerry!

Could be the reason they bolted, even with the netting instead of the plastic it is a much warmer environment & they actually don't need any protection when young, I grow mine in a big pot under the patio table, then immediately cover them when they go on the plot in their own holes with environmesh to keep the leek moth & their gross babies tunnelling through them. It works for them but the rust is a mystery.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic