Blight free tomatoes.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Of all my tomatoes that have now succumbed to the blight including Ferline and Fandango the one still free and showing no signs of it is a new one from Kings I tried this year Mountain Magic F1. Very tasty and is also keeping well in a bowl in the kitchen. A definite must for next year.

Beryl.
Monika
KG Regular

I very boringly always grow Gardeners Delight but I can honestly say that this year, with the warm and still weather we have had for last two or three weeks, we are eating more beautifully ripened tomatoes than in all our time with the same greenhouse, and that is almost 40 years! Luckily, we have never been affected by blight, I don't know why.
Beryl
KG Regular

Pleased to hear you are still blight free Monika. All my tomatoes are started off in the greenhouse but then grown on the allotment unprotected, so I am very pleased with this new variety - so far! still cropping well to.

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

What size tomato is Mountain Magic ? Is it a cherry size tomato or a normal "salad" size ?
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks for the tip re: Mountain Magic F1 Beryl! I was pretty gutted when I lost all of mine to blight so early on, had KG1 but they are too tiny to make a sandwich!

No blight for 40 yrs Monika - I'll add that to my envy list! :D

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

Normal salad size Primrose.

Cherola is the cherry one I grow but even that gave up to the blight this year which it hasn't done before. But I have to say always having been a fan of GD. this one is an even better flavour and doesn't split so easily.

Beryl.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Same here, most of my tomatoes got some bout of blight at some stage, but i managed to salvage most of them with French Bouillie Bordelaise (blue tomatoes anyone?) - the only ones that did not suffer at all were F1 Crimson Crush, which Suttons advertised (rightly in my case) as 100% blight resistant. Seeds were a tad expensive, but worth it. Nice round tomatoes, like the expensive ones they sell at Waitrose that small and taste good.
But thanks for the tip, I'll also try Mountain Magic F1 next year!
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Oscar!

I grew Crimson Crush last year - they got blight! I gave my feedback & photos - funnily no response. (Post & photo on here somewhere - under Crimson Crush titIe I think). They nearly made it but the late blight saw them off!

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hi Westi,

Thanks - I found your Crimson thread with the photos. How sad. Between the blight and the slugs, what a year. Ppffff

OK, that's not the way to start a Friday. Happy Friday everybody, looks like it is sunny in the South. So hopefully so nice time gardening and (day) dreaming of blight free tomatoes, lots of juicy ones. :D
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
robo
KG Regular

All mine got blight moneymaker, alicante,Roma vf the cherries ,every type I had planted some I initially ripped out then I started spraying the ones I left still have blight but they are still growing and the tomatoes are ok but it's not been a good year, it's the first time I have suffered with blight in over forty years of growing tomatoes
Pawty
KG Regular

This year I grew Shirley, Cuor di bue, zebra and Costoluto Fiorentino. All got blight. But looking on the positive, Cuor di Bue (ox heart)were delicious - fab for sauces and will grow again.Costoluto Fiorentino also produced lovely large meaty tomatoes.

Shirley's tasted good, but didn't keep well in the bowl.

The unblighted green ones at the end went into chutney.

I might have to sneak a few of those you have mentioned into next years basket (but won't tell my husband who already thinks I am a seed o holic)

Pawty
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I wonder whether the colder weather here earlier in the season has kept the blight away? I've had the best tomato crop for years. Still picking buckets full. They were late ripening but the sun and warmth of the past few weeks has worked wonders.

I've grown Chocolate cherry, Kennilworth King George, Double Rich, Wladek, Amish Paste, and Cornu des Andes, oh and Black Plum (which I don't think is the correct name as it isn't like one I've grown previously, but is a beefsteak variety).

Several of these are beefsteak or paste tomatoes with excellent flavour and few seeds and I particularly like the flavour of the black varieties.
Westi
KG Regular

PP! Well done with your successes - I've now got tomato envy! :lol:

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic