Rust on Leeks

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

For the second season running my leeks are starting to look as if they're developing a bad rust infection.
I try to move them around on mu veg patch every year but location options are limited. Is this is a soil infected problem or caused by weather conditions?. When the rust hits this early it really seems to impede their growth and I wonder if there's anything i can do to halt it. i've stripped away some of the worst infected outer layers but last year when I did this the infection still continued
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey, it's early for rust Primrose.

I don't think I'd take any layers off this early, obviously the spores will be around later in the season as well so will just attack the soft growth layers and you'll end up with mush. I read somewhere if you rub vaseline on the rust spots when you first note them it stops them exploding their generation of spores out onto the other plants and making it worse. I only remembered that as I get rust every year as well - not this early though! I'm planning to try it so will feed back, if I remember to buy some & note the rust in time though!

Westi
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear primrose,
there are some rust resistant leek varieties coming onto the market, you might want to look out for them. Groundsel is an alternative host for rust so keep this down on your patch if you can.
Regards Sally Wright.
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, we started getting rust this early about three or four years ago after never having suffered from it before. And I was told by a local but nationally known onion and leek chap that once you have got it, there is really nothing you can do. I just leave them growing and have not found that the rust inhibits growth, just makes the outer leaves look horrible. All at the best!
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

I always seem to get rust on my leeks as well.

I've always just left them alone. It doesn't seem to stop them growing, just makes them look unsightly :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Westi
KG Regular

One of mine is in flower?? Forget the rust - in flower????

Any ideas why? It's in the first bed I planted of the ones that were getting too big to leave in pots? Where they too big it got stressed in the replanting, but it is only one, so could something else triggered it? Mr Mole has been active but not in the actual row but between plants, luckily!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

yes, being in flower is really early. I wonder if it could have been stressed by extreme growing conditions earlier on ? Leeks do seem to behave very much like onions n this respect and do this if they don't like what is happening to them, especially lack of water. Hopefully it will be restricted to one plant but in my bitter experience, once one starts the rest seem to follow in quick succession. :(
Pawty
KG Regular

I often get rust on leeks (although not last year strangely ).

Bad me this year - they're still growing in a pot in the cold from and currently resemble chives.... May be a bit pot bound. I'll put them in the ground soon (when I get spare time and the grounds soft enough to dig - its solid at the moment). They'll grow, but may be a bit smaller than normal.... I'm sure small veg is the trend at the moment .....

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic