Tomato flowers being cut off!!!!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ianbenny
KG Regular

Just recently, I have noticed some of the flowers from my tomatoes have been nipped off, but only on one side of the greenhouse, and not every plant.

I have been seeing the stalk left with no flower attached, but yesterday I saw the flowers hanging off, and yellow discolouration around the site of the separation.

This is mainly at the top of the tomato, 3rd or 4th truss. We have some snails and slugs kicking around but I thought these did not like to eat toms.

Ant ideas???
Westi
KG Regular

Hi & Welcome ianbenny!

Not heard that snails & slugs don't like tomatoes, plenty around mine but actually no real damage so could be right. However if you think about it the flowers would be the most tender bit so maybe they are the culprits. I'd get rid of them in the first instance & see.

But as is the KG forum way, a more experienced & knowledgable individual will give you the answer soon!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Sometimes the flowers just drop off if the plants have been stressed by heat, lack of water etc. It is a clean break in the flower stem and could look as though they had been cut off.
robo
KG Regular

Sometimes they drop off if they have not been pollinated
ianbenny
KG Regular

Thanks for your answers, this is the first time this has happened.
I have a picture but don't know how to post it. Definitely not lack of water as they are watered every day, and its only affected 2 out of 12 plants at the moment.
Its 2 plants next to each other, 1 in a bucket and the other in a tomato grow bag. Over on the other side of the greenhouse there are 6 in buckets totally unaffected.

Cant see them being stressed by heat, I live in the North East, and we certainly haven't been blessed by much sun this year :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic