fusarium resistant basil

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
just spotted a fusarium resistant basil of the sweet genovese type called Nufar F3 on the Web. The plants I grow seem to suffer badly from this in dull summers so I thought I would give it a go. I will let you all know how it goes on (if I remember).
Regards Sally Wright.
Geoff
KG Regular

I've started losing Basil but didn't realise it was fusarium. We grow it on the kitchen windowsill and have struggled with it since we took out the Aga so the kitchen temperature isn't as high at night. It has also coincided with me mainly using home made composts with soil and leafmould in them so I am wondering if that doesn't help. I'm not surprised there is a resistant strain now you mention it as with hindsight I think I have got on better with the various KG freebies than the big packet of Gustosa from Moles that I have been using.
Pawty
KG Regular

I've had mixed results with basil. Last year I had good germination of sweet basil and purple basil, and a mini one with pretty flowers. These were eventually planted outside in a concrete pot in full sun. We had a good supply and both eventually went to seed.

However, I bought two pots of basil from aldi in November, which have been kept in the kitchen winter. They have kept us in basil over winter and I've just putted them into larger pots with new compost and are the healthiest basil plants I've ever had. Makes me wonder if I'll grow from seed this year - although of course I will as I like the different varieties. Will keep an eye out for fusarium - I've had a look on wiki - not helpful on the signs to look for. What should I be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks

Pawty
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
fusarium wilt starts off as irregular brown patches on the stems close to the soil level. As they get bigger and girdle the stem the plant goes yellow and starts to wilt; eventually losing all it's leaves and dying.
There are no amateur chemicals available, so as you spot the disease starting get rid of the affected plants as it can spread quickly. In a pot with multiple plants in it the best way is to haul out the affected plants so the roots come with the plant; take away any dead leaves and make sure the plants are in an airy spot. Use a tall plant pot rather than a squat one and do not over water. Apply the water by saucer if possible and accept that in dull humid summers the problem will be worse.
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic