Moss in Lawn!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:
I'm told that dog piss is exactly the same as a bitch piss, just not in the same spot. Ok, can't believe everything I'm told or read so I did a test.

Guess what ?

You got a wet hand !!

Please don't tell me there was no difference between dog & bitch
Female urine is different to male in hormonal content between bitch and dog. In the case of humans female urine will kick start bacterial content of a compost heap much faster than a male. Although both will work and its obviously easier for a male.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Other than the test I did with my own pee on the lawn I'm making no bold statement on the issue, it killed a patch of grass as if a bitch had peed there.

All the other stuff is stuff I read on the Internet which as we all know can be controversial or based on Chinese-whisper.

If putting stuff into your dogs water stops the strong nitrogen that kills the grass from leaving its body then what happens to the dog ?

Are you saying it isn't the nitrogen that does the damage ? And isn't it the nitrogen that does the business on your much heap.

I'm not a chemist, I need help. But not guessing please.

My lovely little dark eyed cwtchy spaniel has already peppered our rear lawn with dead patches, I would love to stop but I wouldn't trust someone selling rocks unless they can explain the way it works and will they treat my open wounds and heartache if she dies from a knackered liver ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Been shaking-up my grey matter trying to remember where I read that dog pee and bitch pee is the same and that it's the application that differs, the only thing I can think of is a book I spent a lot of time with reading it backwards and forewords.

The book is by Brian Hare who is a professor of evolutionary anthropology, it was written and researched together with his wife Vanessa Woods.

Most of their work is from the research of others in the field.

The contents of the book have torn to pieces a lot of nonesense written by others who haven't researched the subject though the subject of research is in itself controversial.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Couldn't agree with you more about the 'rocks' Richard. Purely because I know nothing of how they allegedly work.

Mrs Snip has seen them many times at dog shows, they may well be at Crufts this week even, but she doesn't know anyone who has used them so neither have we.

Now I am going to make an admission, I am not brave enough to inform Mrs Snip that her experience in keep & breeding dogs has resulted in her opinions on the effects of bitch pee on grass being nonsense.

At this point I bow out of the conversation because I have at present nothing further that I can add that might help solve the original problem

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ok, but before you bow-out, consider this.

100 Mls of urine in one tiny spot is going to have a very different effect on vegetation than 100 mls of urine pitted and sprayed all,over the place and mostly dogs piss at nose level for the benefit of other dogs.

Some dogs in research never learnt to piss up a pole, those dogs crouched like a bitch and caused lawn damage.

It's someone's opinion, not mine. Though I have have done the human test, you couldn't call it research.
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

A quote from the RHS:
"Algae-like growths: Dark green or blackish jelly-like growths that often appear in damper, cooler weather over the surface of the lawn, making it slippery are caused by a cyanobacteria called Nostoc. These are sometimes referred to as gelatinous algae or blue-green algae but are technically classified under bacteria, not algae."

A quote from a Michigan University article:
"It has not caused the lawn’s decline; it has simply colonized an area where it has favourable conditions to grow. Poor drainage, compacted soils and fertilizers containing phosphorus create a favourable environment for colonies of Nostoc."

As well as the acidity that weakens the grass dog urine usually also contains phosphorus so it compounds the problem.

Another link with some interesting comments http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/topic/lawn-c ... itch-urine
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Smile, I'm vindicated. Also, dog rocks are claimed to work by reducing the nitrate your dog takes in because the rocks absorb it.

They make no claims on how much is absorbed and you can reduce the nitrate content in your dog drink by using a PrittaFilter jug.

We have very low nitrate but my dog still burns the lawn, I did do a few months of always having a watering can full of water to sluice the pee spots. That works.

Our front lawn that is heavily infested with moss doesn't get brown pee spots, think about it.
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I refer back to the question I asked Westi on Friday evening

Pa Snip wrote:
Have you carried out any Ph. tests on the soil where it is directly affected.

I'm guessing the soil may well be sour, and still have not ruled out bitch urine as a possible cause

Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pa!

I went to lottie to retrieve the PH tester from there but looks like it disappeared. I'm definitely going to do that as I can see a lot of sense in what you are saying. I've got a big hound & boy she can pee for England - forget mls, she creates lakes! Also think she spreads it around with her mad 5 minutes of rushing around like a loonie each morning!

Westi
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Well my cooper sulphate arrived today - all full of doom & gloom health & safety advice but no instructions for use.

Anyone know how this is supposed to be applied? It is just some granules in a bottle at the moment.

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Is it for your tomatoes Westi.

If so this might help (copied from a American website and turned into English :D )

Plan to spray tomato plants with copper sulphate fungicide on a cool, calm day. Don't apply copper sulphate on a very windy or rainy day.

Put on a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and eye goggles before spraying copper sulphate. This chemical can cause skin and eye injury.

Fill a hand sprayer with 1 gallon of water and 4 teaspoons of copper sulphate. Mix thoroughly.

Attach a hollow-cone nozzle to the hand sprayer for best application results. Hollow-cone nozzles spray medium-fine 0.01-inch droplets that cover the plant thoroughly.

Spray tomato plants with copper sulphate two to four weeks after transplanting them into your garden. Cover the plant stems and the tops and bottoms of leaves with the spray. The fungicide helps prevent blight, nailhead rust, bacterial spot, leaf mould, Anthracnose, Stemphyllum leaf spot and Septoria.

Repeat the copper sulphate application again every seven to 10 days. You will need to apply the fungicide more often in humid or wet weather.

This may also help
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/fung ... -gardeners

Pa Snip
KG Regular

ok I was being a plank on the reply above. Its for your slimeball stuff.

I think a phone call to RHS regarding its use for your purpose may well be advisable (even if you did have instructions)

Geoff
KG Regular

Does this help?

"For serious cases of algae, make a mixture of 5 ounces of copper sulphate and 3 gallons of water per 1000 square feet of turf."

I was an American source, I reckon it is about 12 grams per litre to treat 8 square metres.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Guys!

That's a start, know dilution but need more research - how long to keep pets off, dog no problem, but cats could be an issue & Luna May is early stages of pregnancy. (The H & S is quite scary - especially the bit about holding your eye open for 20mins while running it under water if you get spray in it). Sounds like torture & best avoided!

I think the neighbours might be a wee bit concerned about nuclear fallout when I actually take the plunge & start spraying with all precautions in protective clothing - might make it April 1st & put little nuclear stickers on their side of the fence. Owe them a few prank paybacks! :lol:

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

neighbours might be a wee

I thought it was the dog (bitch)!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic