Dog roses: good or bad?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

I have three dog roses growing in a corner of my new plot where I was thinking of erecting a shed. Given how muich I like their pale pink flowers, I was thinking of leaving at least one of them in situ. However, today, I began digging around the general area and found quite a complex root structure, which seemed to be part of the dog roses.

Have any of you had any experience with coexisting with a dog rose? Are they invasive to such an extent that it is not a good idea to leave them on a plot, given that roots can spread way beyond individual plants?

Any experience of this species welcome.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Barry

My reply is just a thought, it certainly isn't based on personal experience with dog roses.

My thought is that it is not uncommon to see dog roses on plots or gardens that are worked. Surely they can be pruned back regularly to keep growth above ground under control.

If the dog rose is in an area that is going to be worked then wont the regular digging with a spade cut through the root system and exercise some control over it.

Perhaps my logic is misplaced in the case of a rampant dog rose but cant be worse than trying to control a blackberry for instance.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

They are brilliant in a site boundary fence and excellent for wildlife, also rosehip syrup. :D

They are a bugger for snagging clothes and arms.

Invasive, depends, they're a bit like brambles, they can root from a shoot lying on the ground, the one I have in my wildlife plot hasn't and doesn't throw up suckers either

Fairly easy to control by secateurs and leather gloves, debris disposal is interesting due to the thorns, bonfire once dry works for me. Digging up a well established clump will require a pickaxe, strong spade and active gardener in good health. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Barry
KG Regular

Mine is close enough to my boundary fence to be trained along it, thereby providing quite a good deterrent against intruders!

I'm just worried that, if left, it might decide to take over the whole plot....

FYI, I have had to hack out another of these plants from the wilderness next to my plot and boy did the mattock bounce the first time it hit the roots! I thought it was just a bramble, but these things are TOUGH.
peter
KG Regular

If left, yes, trimmed and trained, no. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've a few in a hedge at the edge of my garden. One has quite small thorns and is less of a beast. The other three are more vigorous and have vicious thorns. If you chop through the roots on the garden side it should reduce the vigour but might encourage sucking which you wouldn't want. I just cut out the older stems and tie down any that are waving about to the fence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic