Bramley bugs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

Once again I've had a reasonable crop of Bramleys, but most have been 'bored' by some bug that I've never been able to find. Not too much damage but I'd like to stop it if possibe. Are we talking grease bands, put on the tree about now, or spraying, or what? Thanks for advice.
Geoff
KG Regular

I suspect you can't find the culprit because it was leaving through the hole.

http://apples.hdc.org.uk/codling-moth.asp
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

I do find the grease bands (put around the trunk and also around any support as well, around September/October I think) plus the codling moth traps in Spring works really well. In fact this year, I forgot to replace the pheromone lure with the second one (the kit comes with 2 lures, the first to be placed in the trap in May and the second around the end of June I think if I remember correctly), and I got hit with a lot more codling moth damage this year than I've ever had. Not every apple is affected thankfully, but quite a few are. So I would say in my experience the grease bands and the traps do actually work.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've never used any traps for codling moth and don't usually notice much if any damage, but have noticed more damaged apples this year, so perhaps it's just a good (or bad from our point of view) year for them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic