Potato skin colour and slugs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

Several years ago, my very experienced neighbour (now aged 90 and just giving up his lifelong plot - his parents had it before him apparently) suggested that red skinned potatoes suffered from more slug damage than white skinned.
This year, I think it is certainly true. My International Kidney have hardly any slug damage (I lifted a few today), when I lifted all of the Sarpo Mira grown as main crop, the slugs had had a feast and a half. Most disappointing.
Has anyone else find this to be the case?
Despite this, I found the International Kidney disappointing, not tadty and they fell apart on being boiled. On the other hand, the taste of Sarpo Mira does appeal.
Next year, it will probably be Charlotte.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Stephen, i don't like to disagree with any gardener that has a life long experience of gardening, so i'll just say, maybe it's because there's a lot less varieties of red potatoes than white ones, so maybe it seems they get more slug damage percentage wise.

I grow Romano and Old Codger grows Desiree, both reds and these are pretty slug resistant.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

For once I am pleased to say I managed to get this years potatoes out of the ground with very little slug damage, including red Sarpo Mira.
Had to get them all out of the ground bas they were showing signs of blight. Wireworm holes and scab were the bigger issues

Stephen maybe leaving your international kidney in the ground this long affected the taste. Isn't that a salad potato normally harvested earlier in the year

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

International Kidney, also known as Jersey Royal is intended as a "new" potato.

Here on heavy Hertfordshire clay worh an abundance of slugs the two varieties that are most resilient to the slimy little darlings are Charlotte and Nicola.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks all.
Peter, in my opinion International Kidney (at least those delivered to me) are nothing like Jersey Royals. I started lifting at the end of July but still have some in the ground. From the start the tubers were large (nice to have a good crop but not what I expect from Jersey Royals).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I have to agree with Peters comment.

International Kidney is indeed the global name permitted for Jersey Royal type potatoes that are grown anywhere other than Jersey.

As seed tubers I would not expect them to be big and round.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic