Twitch-based path bordering plot

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It has beat me, Richard, i was hoping someone would have an answer.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Richard

The grass (in my opinion) is Yorkshire Fog, it is an unpalatable grass to livestock although they will eat it if nothing else is available. It makes good hay and silage but often causes problems in pasture since it does not get eaten out of choice and so grows to flowering and seed stage. It is these seed stalks that can cause severe eye trouble to grazing stock. I unfortunately have acres of it where I graze my sheep but the sheep do very well on it and I regularly top the grass to prevent it going to seed. There are probably selective sprays that can be used but I am not aware of them. Glyphosate will kill Yorkshire Fog.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/weeds/yorkshire-fog

Best wishes

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Is that the Latin name for it, Barney.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I tend not to use the correct Latin terms so much nowadays since most people these days have not benefitted from a classical education like wot I have done. :wink:

Barney
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Yorkshire fog, thanks. I remember now a few years ago someone mentioned I needed to get rid of my yellow wort and Yorkshire fog. It took some time identify the yellow wort and I never did get to identify the Yorkshire fog though I don't understand why it was associated with such a poisonous plant.

Even the bits that flew of the brush cutter and landed on my bare arms caused sores and flue-like symptoms though my informant didn't warn me about ragwort.

The clumps formed by Yorkshire fog can get so big in a field that has been grazed but not topped that you can sit on them like sitting on a soft stool. My neighbour has often said "Pull up a clump" when I joined him for a chat.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic