Woolly aphids!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

I was summer-pruning my apples last weekend, and was stopped in my tracks on seeing a problem I haven't experienced in many years of growing apples, but instantly recognized - woolly aphids! The RHS Fruit Book recommends using systemic insecticides, but I'd rather not. Has anyone got any other suggestions, please?
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Don't know sorry... I've been lucky to not face aphids in jumpers! The normal ones are bad enough :) Will be watching this post to see if anyone has any ideas
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Ken,
I have always treated Wooly Aphid by treating by brushing with Methylated Spirits which I was taught to do by my grandfather back in the 1940's. Certainly an old method but still very effective.
JB.
ken
KG Regular

Good to hear from you, Johnboy. This in fact is what I've done - and I think the heavy rain last weekend may also have washed some away/drowned some. So far, so good, but I'll keep an eye on the trees for sign of a return.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic