Ladybirds to control aphids

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Usually there are lots of ladybirds in the garden, but I've only seen one harlequin a few weeks ago and a 24 spot yesterday afternoon. There is a big infestation of blackfly on the beans and other aphids on other things at the moment, so I've ordered a pack of ladybird adults and larvae to tackle this.

I think the few ladybirds that emerged in the warm spell in April wouldn't have enough to eat and didn't get chance to multiply.

What is the situation in your gardens, have you seen many ladybirds this year?

I have noticed good numbers of hover flies in the greenhouse, so they are doing their job keeping that clear of aphids.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

There are some ladybirds about, but fewer than usual. I could certainly have done with a lot more of them earlier in the season to have a go at the blackfly on the broad beans. I gather that blackfly have been quite a problem for a lot of growers this year, but I have never had such a disastrous crop of broad beans before. Infestation is so bad that the flowers on this year’s sowings have failed to set. I have been thankful that most of most of my overwintered sowing survived and have at least provided a limited crop.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, i reported a few weeks ago in another topic that blackfly were being a real problem. Well they are just as bad, still. i did notice a couple of ladybirds yesterday, so i'm hoping they start breeding like mad. There's certainly no food shortage for them, as this is the worse year i can ever remember for them. :evil:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

this year is the worst I can remember for both the lack of ladybirds and the abundance of blackfly. the runner beans are smothered, although we did pick one bean yesterday!
John
KG Regular

Same here.
Blackfly everywhere and not a ladybird to be seen.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Primrose
KG Regular

And here too. Climbing beans are absolutely smothered and although I've been spraying with the hose and also a bug killer, they seem to be back as badly as ever within 24 hours. In my wanderings around the garden I don't think I've seen a single ladybird for ages. Even my nasturtium flowers have died under the onslaught of blackfly.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My ladybirds arrived yesterday and were very active when I opened the envelope. There was one box of larvae and one of ladybirds. They are now distributed between the two greenhouses and a few on the broadbeans outside, so hopefully snacking on the aphids.

Several of the ladybirds were actually mating when I got them out of the packet, so there should be an increase in numbers. I hope they stay in my garden and don't go eating other people's aphids :D

I've thought about getting one of those ladybird houses, but unless they contain an attractant can't see them finding it to over winter in. I might give it a try though.
Primrose
KG Regular

Spotted three lady birds on my runner bean plants today. Looks like the bush telegraph is finally working, albeit a little late !
Bren
KG Regular

We picked the last of the peas and broad beans today, there was lots and lots of ladybirds on them but still some of the broad beans had a lot of blackfly on them.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've found a few ladybird larvae this week so there must have been some ladybirds in the garden that I hadn't noticed. The ones I've bought have done a good job cleaning up the peppers in the greenhouse and the aubergines in the top greenhouse. They were the small two spot ones, so if I see any others I'll know they are residents.

I'm glad they are showing up in your gardens too, its worrying when you don't see any in mid summer.

There have been a lot of Ringlet butterflies this week and the first Gate keepers too as well as a Painted Lady, Small Tortoishell and the usual cabbage whites.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic