The resilience of nature amazes me.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

My kales have been under nets since early planting potted-on sturdy plants, I had a few holes but nothing massive and I just spotted the second catterpiller I had in that bed.

What I found amazing is that this creature had survived winter, it was big-and-fat and must have been lonely because I didn't find any damage to my kale particularly the dwarf curly that this creature was hiding it.

It got steamed.

I still always salt and wash.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Richard, i think a lot of the damage that slugs get the blame fo,r is actualy done by caterpillers, especially moth caterpillers....

They certainly are tough old things.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Hi OH,

I haven't even spotted any slugs yet though I did put slug pellets down around my Charlotte and on top of the Pink Fir Apple. I read a warning in one of the two allotment growers handbooks I have where they warn about keel slugs.

Are keel slugs those tiny ones that invaded my cabbages last year and am I to place the pellets into the earth rather than on top ?

Certainly one old lady gardener of 90 years said she always raked the pellets into the soil.

So, presumably the keel slugs are the ones that bore holes in the root and work underground rather than on top like the big bad fat boys. Ok, I know that the Internet has an answer for most things though I sometimes only get half an answer and people with experience often add to the answer with even more information. Other than that this forum is far more sociable than Internet searches though not nearly as useful as having experienced people to bounce off.

As I often remind you, my few neighbors gardening amounts to flowers in borders and pots that were bought as plants, whilst they would love to help they think I'm an expert and that isn't any help at all.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic