Blight resistsnt tomatoes

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I have applied for some of the free blight resistsnt tomatoes being offered on the Gardeners World website, but might not be in the lucky first 1,000 to apply.
However this has prompted to enquire how many of you grow these vsrieties snd how much success you have had with them saving your crops in years when blight has struck really badly.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've never tried blight resistant varieties. Some ordinary ones seem to have more resistance than others and I watch them go down in 'order of merit' so to speak! I once had a long row of Roma plum tomatoes and they all got blight except two plants which stood proud and clean amongst the greying foliage of the others. I did save seed but as it's an F1 hybrid it did not come true and the offspring all succumbed to blight.

Of the heritage ones Salt Spring Sunrise seems pretty good.

MW
Geoff
KG Regular

I decided not to apply as I expect them to be a bit late arriving but it will be interesting to see how they do. I've grown Ferline and been unimpressed with it as a Tomato and it seems no different to standard varieties for blight resistance.
Diane
KG Regular

I've applied for the free seeds too. I expect most of the folk watching GW did the same :(

Ferline - not impressed with it at all. Didn't even taste that great. My Gardeners Delight were the most blight resistant last year.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Beryl
KG Regular

In my opinion Fandango from Kings is an improvement on Ferline. I have grown both and prefer Fandango for taste, a very good even size. Both have much to same resistance but not totally.

Beryl.
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Interesting comments regarding Ferline not being very tasty. Last year I grew three different varieties of tomatoes and, guess what, the heaviest cropper and tastiest was Ferline!. That was the first time I had grown them and was really impressed with the heavy crop and taste and I can assure you all that as far as tasty tomatoes are concerned, I am perhaps the fussiest of all.

I am growing them again this year and , as for last year, I will feed them daily with a weak Tomorite plus the occasional dressing of wood ash and scattering of powdered chicken litter. Once the toms start ripening I will only water/feed them once a week.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic