2014 Slug Invasion

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivie veg
KG Regular

Just remembered Ducks are great for clearing your garden of most things (including your prized vegs) so need to be well enclosed into the areas you want them to clear.

Unfortunately I don't have ducks any more, moved house and don't have enough space :(
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now here is a name from the past, and very pleased to see it.....
Yes i am still here Vivie veg... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I went down plot last week after 2 nights of hard frost i was very happy to find dead slugs everywhere hope we get a few more nights with very low temperatures
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Robo, I went up the plot yesterday just to check things over and wasn't as lucky as you.

Only evidence I saw was that my overwintering young Spring Hero cabbages are still being decimated by snails or slugs.
This despite the fact I have covered the bed around them with well broken up eggshells and slug pellets

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Pa snip, are you sure its not pigeons my cabbage leaves are full of holes but not a slug or snail near them
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Robo, its not pigeons, the plants are netted

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Pa snip, marbe its that rare breed of pigeons, the narrow long beaked type not often seen in this country :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pa Snip
KG Regular

and probably called Walter

vivie veg
KG Regular

Pigeons will leave V shaped holes, whereas slugs tend to be rounded holes or just take the whole leaf :evil:

I have been doing more research into Ferric Phosphate. Apparently these can cause Iron poisoning, if eaten in sufficient quantity. Unlikely if sprinkled on the ground, but likely if a small child or pet eats the whole packet! So as always, keep out of reach of anybody/thing likely to eat the whole lot.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Well, it looks like the slugs are coming (at least on my plot).

Pa Snip, did you try the Nematode solution?

Did anyone have any success with this Ferric Phosphate stuff?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pa Snip, did you try the Nematode solution?

Too early to use it yet Mr C, not being shipped to me 'til March. Ground temperature has to be at least 5 degrees.

Slugs on my plot hardly seem to have stopped overwinter. Spring Hero cabbage trying its best to keep ahead of the slugs.

mr-cecil
KG Regular

Regarding the comment about wooden boards - if they like wooden boards, doesn't that just make it easier to get rid of them because you know where they are?

Does anybody think the copper tape idea works? ie, put tape all around your wooden boards....you can get it for £1 for 2 meters worth.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Would that be two gas meters or electric meters worth. :D

No idea of how effective copper banding really is, thought strikes me though that that it would take a lot of metres of the stuff to be effective on an allotment.

I use wooden boards, do tend to find a few slugs under them which get squashed, but tend not to remember to look under them on a regular basis

robo
KG Regular

I tried the nematodes last year seemed to be a waste of money I followed the instruction to the letter but still overrun with the buggers I sent an email to the firm I bought them off to be fair they sent me another box but I gave it to one of my mates down the plots he was not impressed with them either
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Once mine arrives and I have had a chance to try it I shall report back as to how I get on later in the year

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic