pests on swedes

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

chrise
KG Regular

:) on my last growth of swedes there were little white maggots on all of them what are they and can i prevent this
Monika
KG Regular

When you say "maggots", you really mean "maggots" not caterpillars? Swedes belong to the brassicas, so their leaves are sometimes attacked by cabbage white caterpillars. If they were maggots in the roots, that seems to suggest to me that the roots were rotting.
chrise
KG Regular

when i say maggots they were little white possibly catapilars but not on leaves actually on the swede veg.i have netting to protect veg from flying pests.
alan refail
KG Regular

As Monika says, swedes are brassicas (cabbage family) and the swede is a swollen root. Cabbage root fly sounds the obvious culprit.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=646
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
chrise
KG Regular

thanks for info but how do i prevent the same next season
Westi
KG Regular

Cover them Chrise!

ONetting, fleece or environmesh over all your brassicas. Lots of critters like them. You can use collars for a lot of brassicas to stop the fly laying as well but I find environmesh over them from planting does the trick too.

Westi
Westi
chrise
KG Regular

:) thanks westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic