Mildew on cougettes

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

I have two courgette plants growing in large pots which have become badly affected by mildew. I've cut most of the worst affected leaves off as the youngest leaves at the growing point were showing no visible symptoms. Was this a good thing to do? At one point the embryonic fruit were failing to develop, but both have developing fruit now.

I understand mildew on courgette plants is a bigger problem in drought conditions, which we have been experiencing. I think they have been getting enough water, but they are in full sun. Elsewhere, I have an Italian Tromba (trombone) courgette and a winter squash (Sweet Dumpling), also grown in large containers and scrambling up trellis. These are very vigorous plants. They don't get the full sun until the afternoon. Sown a little later than the others, they are just beginning to show mildew symptoms.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Ken,

I just accept that they get mildew towards this end of the summer. Mine still keep producing and, like you, I have a trim off of the worst ones.

MW
ken
KG Regular

Thanks, MW. I've been waiting to see if anyone else was joining in, but I guess you've said it all! You're right: it does occur most years (every year, even). It just appears to be particularly bad this year. The mildew has caused a lull in courgette production, but I'm hopeful we'll get some more.
Primrose
KG Regular

Like MW I usually find that my courgette leaves start showing signs of mildrew by late August, partly exascerbated by the fact that in most years I have a time controlled irrigation system set up in the veg patch with upright spike watering rosettes at the top which tend to spray water on some of the leaves rather than directing it onto the ground. I cut the worse affected leaves off occasionally but find the courgettes still keep coming so don't worry too much. By the time the plants are badly affected by it I'm normally quite relieved the courgettes are coming to an end actually - you can sometimes have too much of a good thing :lol:
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi

Have a read of this article about mildew might be of some help :)

http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=242

Regards

Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
ken
KG Regular

Tht is an interesting article, Arnie - thanks for that.
Ken
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic