Downy Mildew

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elaine
KG Regular

Almost everyone on our allotment site has Downy Mildew on onions, thanks to the weather ranging from bucketing down with rain followed by hot days.
They look a right sorry sight.

Ours looked perfect on Friday but when we went on Sunday, they looked a right sorry sight. The foliage had lost that lovely firm squeaky feel and they were pale and odd looking. The bulbs are fine.
That night I looked it up to check my suspicions.

We've taken the whole lot up, cut off the tops to burn and put the bulbs to dry. My husband is very upset to say the least! Even his Egyptian Walking Onions have copped for it. :(
So far, my leeks are okay.......
Happy with my lot
John
KG Regular

Hi Elaine
Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but do check your bulbs carefully in case you have onion white rot. From what you say things do sound suspicious. It affects the base of the bulbs and the plants fail quickly.

See
http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=226

I have it in my patch and can no longer grow onions as OWR persists for a long time in the soil.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Elaine
KG Regular

Thanks John, that was my first thought but we carefully checked every bulb and they all look perfectly normal and healthy. (so far ) They might not store well though and we will keep a lookout for any signs of deterioration. We'll see how they go whilst they're drying and burn them if they show any signs of infection.
We use a 4 year rotation of plots
I use the RHS site a lot and this link looks like what we have.

http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=743

I looked at other sites too and the pictures are all pointing to the same thing.
Cheers, Elaine.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic