Allium leaf minor

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

This year Allium leaf minor has devastated the majority of onions on our Allotment site in Derbyshire.

One day the onions were looking good, two days later they have all been devastated. Whether the wet weather has had an influence I do not know. I think I will have to dig them all up and put in the green bin.

It is too early to say if the leeks will be OK but I am not feeling very optimistic .
:(
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
retropants
KG Regular

Oh gosh! I was just wondering what has been destroying my beautiful onion crop. Thye look awful, the leaves started going all curly, then just disappearing. Is this what has happened?
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

We've had Allium leaf miner for a few years now - but the good news is that hopefully your leeks and possibly garlic will be OK. I've not grown onions now for probably 3 years, but I'm still growing leeks and garlic, and they seem unaffected. :D
Chantal
KG Regular

Most of my leeks had had this for the past two years, so don't hold your breath :(
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
retropants
KG Regular

my garlic is a complete disaster this year. first time in 21 years that I'll have to buy garlic. I think it was the weather. the ones that aren't mouldy are teeny tiny and not worth bothering with. the elephant garlic looks good above ground, who know what's going on beneath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic