lettuce damaged

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I have never had lettuce damaged before like this. one row destroyed Sunday night and another one last night. One row under netting which wasn't disturbed so it must be something small. Opinion is divided on the plot, some say squirrels and some rats. All 'Little Gems' and would have been ready for cutting this week-end.

I am inclined to think its squirrels but how do you stop them?

Beryl.
Attachments
1423 -  Little Gem.jpg
1423 - Little Gem.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, how frustating for you, especially since the lettuce were such a good size. I haven't seen this sort of damage before, so would only be guessing to what caused the damage. A one inch holed wire netting is probably the only thing that will work, and that will have to be fixed down well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Certainly has the signs of some rodent. Squirrels or maybe rabbits.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

That is dreadful, poor beryl. You must have felt emptied after all the effort to get your plants to this stage and something wipes them out for a snack.

Have a manly hug Beryl. (Don't shake my hand because it hurts)

Just sliding slightly to one-side, a lot of people don't realise the effort a lot of people put into stuff like growing-you-own. Then, they won't realise how you feel when you arrive and see this.

I'm lucky when it comes to garden nuisances, we don't have rabbit or squirrel in this valley though they are on the other side. No pidgins (I don't know how to spell pidgins) and other than the usual flying creatures we have to cope with our biggy is the wind and I did have some little gem pulled right-out by the wind.

Recently, my few neighbours have accused me of being gifted, green-fingers, and..............etcetera.

What ? after only three years of gardening experience ? How about making a lot of effort ?

And what about all the failures I endured then dusted myself down and had another go.

Beryl. I have those ex-met cages over my little gem but I didn't cover the ends of the cages. Tomorrow I'll cut some ends just in case some little-bugger creeps in the end and nibbles them all down to the floor.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks for all you commiserations folks and the hug Richard.

The netting OH is only 5cm, over hoops weighted either end with bricks and pegged down each side with net pegs. Maybe I should concrete each side too. I think too many were eaten for it to be mice and can't blame the badgers this time, they would have doe far more damage. As far as I know we don't have rabbits but ...........

Back to the drawing board.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic