Mildew on gooesberry bush

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

Disappointed to find the young fruit on a gooseberry bush covered with some form of mildew. As far as I can see, the leaves are not affected at the moment. I touched one of the young fruit, which promptly fell off. From what I've read, I would have thought this was a bit early for American Gooseberry Mildew, but I could be wrong. Any thoughts on what this disease is, and best treatment?
Spare Chair
KG Regular

As a quick fix to stop the mildew spreading further spray it with milk and rain water (10 parts water to one part milk) then in preparation for further attacks leave half a pint of milk somewhere warm so it goes off, then strain off the solids and keep the liquid whey. Mix whey with equal parts of unsulphured molasses (Tate and Lyalls black treacle) so it becomes stable (has a shelf life of up three years at room temp) and to use dilute (again with rain water) so it's the colour of weak tea (probably be something like 100 to one). I find this will stop bortritis and other mildews in their tracks and have used it in the greenhouse and on various fruit trees. The brew is rich in lacto bascillus, the stuff found in probiotic health drinks so it won't harm people or animals.
ken
KG Regular

Thanks, SC...Very interesting idea!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic