Holes in raised beds and greenhouse

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

HelenH
KG Regular

Raised bed hole.jpg
Raised bed hole.jpg (314.53 KiB) Viewed 3632 times

Can anyone give me advice as to what may be creating holes like the one shown in my attached photo. There are about three such holes in my veg raised beds in addition to a couple in my adjacent greenhouse. There has been a mole in the raised beds before now but not sure they create "hill-less" holes. Thanks!
Monika
KG Regular

Fieldmice or bank voles, Helen? They certainly dig similar holes in search for food, peas or beans for instance, though your crop looks like lettuce.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Helen, we have the same thing on our allotment, "something has taken over the old mole runs". I would say it is either mice or voles. They are a bit of a pain, as the keep nibbling the young pea shoots off.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

I agree voles. Hope you aren't growing strawberries, they love them. Found a big one stuck in a hole entrance one day that it hadn't managed to pull underground. If you start losing stuff you'll have to resort to careful trapping.
The Mouse
KG Regular

I hate to tell you this, but those are exactly the type of holes that the moles leave in my garden! For years, based on everything I read, I thought it must be voles or something similar, but the 18 moles I caught last year and the 4 (or 5 - I'm losing track now) so far this year have well and truly destroyed that theory.

Mine don't leave hills either. I think it must be something to do with the soil type - we have very light, quite sandy but very stony soil, and they seem to be able to displace it to make their tunnels without having to resort to hills.
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic