Rhubarb - a cure for Clubroot?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I was browsing through the Letters page of a RHS magazine and found a comment that somebody claims to have greatly reduced clubroot amongst his brassicas by slicing up short lengths of raw rhubarb and planting them with the brassica root sandwiched between the two rhubarb lengths . Apparently greatly reduced the occurrence of clubroot over 3 years and then eliminated it.
I have never heard of this solution. Has anybody else tried it, and has it it worked for them?
alan refail
KG Regular

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
farmer jon
KG Regular

I inherited 2 plots that were riddled with clubroot & have used the rhubarb method for many years. my plots are now totally free of clubroot. however i must also state that i have been using hydrated lime tilled in prior to planting.it was spread 2" thick over the ground before being rotavated in.my brassicas are grown in 6 or 12 modules before being planted on top of the piece of rhubarb in each hole. draw your own conclusions from this as to whether it's the lime,rhubarb or combination of both.

oh,one other thing,even with that concentration of lime,none of my spuds have scab the following year !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic