Oxalis as a salad crop

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I noticed a photo of oxalis in an article on mini salads in February Kitchen Garden (page 44) mentioning that it is an unusual variety popular with chefs. Would there be a specific variety of this weed because it is rampant in our garden and a total nightmare to try and eradicate.
Has anybody ever eaten it as a salad plant? I've never heard of it being eaten and would happily get my own back on it by eating it if I thought it was flavourful. I have certainly never seen any seed packets of it and judging by its rampant behaviour I would discourage anybody from attempting to grow it in an open border.

It didn't exist in our garden (a new-buId house) when we first arrived here but somehow got accidentally introduced and is now impossible to remove,
Beryl
KG Regular

It's rampant on my allotment too Primrose. Had it several years now and I I've tried everything to get rid but it still comes up. I try to weed before it flowers but even then the roots run along and under and like bindweed it will come up again and again. No idea where it came from.

Never thought of eating it - that would be too good for it.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic