Slugs.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Where have all the slugs gone this year? I cannot believe I still have perfect carrots in the ground in December completely slug free. Was it the dry summer I wonder? and does that mean we are in for an onslaught of them next year? Either way for now I am one happy bunny.

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Think they are all in my garden Beryl.

We may be able to make a fortune selling them to Holland and Barratt along with the snails as they are selling a new skin product "Organic Snail Gel" which apparently supports skin repair, moisture repairing, soothing and anti-aging.

Yes I was given a sachet of this as a free gift this week. I haven't brought myself to use it yet. Suppose we could cut out the middle man and just catch a few snails and rub them on our faces.
Diane
KG Regular

[color=#40FF80] Suppose we could cut out the middle man and just catch a few snails and rub them on our faces[/color]

Oh blimey! Now I won't be able to sleep without that picture appearing in my brain cell!
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Beryl
KG Regular

I saw that advertised Plumpudding - urgh - no thank you.

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

A long dry spell certainly sends the slugs somewhere but as soon as we have a damp spell they all reappear pretty soon.
I suspect they are far more cunning than we think. As soon as they sense a dry spell they must pitch up somewhere damp ready to emerge again as soon as suitable (for them) conditions return. Like rabbits we just have to learn to live with them and hopefully keep things under control.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

But I'm sure they wouldn't be as tasty as rabbits in a pie. :roll:
Beryl
KG Regular

Rabbit Stew for me Fred - delicious.

Beryl.
alan refail
KG Regular

I posted this tasty recipe a couple of years ago. I don't know if anyone tried it (but we have lost a fair few regular forum posters since then :roll: :roll: ).

Slug Fritters

Ingredients

10 freshly slaughtered slugs cleaned of all outer mucous
1/2 cup of cornmeal
1/2 cup of high protein flour
3 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup of heavy cream
4 tbs. Of butter
4tsp.of sour cream

Instructions

First chop the slugs into fine mince, then beat the eggs and egg yolks with the heavy cream together. Sift the dry ingredients and then cut 2 tbs of butter into that mixture. Add the egg and cream mixture to the dry ingredients and whip with a whisk vigorously for one to two minutes. Melt one tbs of butter in a sauté pan and pure the batter into 2 1/2 inch cakes in two batches. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream.
Yields 4 servings.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Pass the bucket.....

And as for putting them on your face :o it's bad enough getting a bit of snail slime on your fingers and you can't get it off...yuk!!! It just goes to show that if you make something trendy, package it nicely then you can sell people anything.

MW
peter
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:Pass the bucket.....

And as for putting them on your face :o it's bad enough getting a bit of snail slime on your fingers and you can't get it off...yuk!!! It just goes to show that if you make something trendy, package it nicely then you can sell people anything.

MW

My two dogs mean I have to bag & bin pounds of waste each day, if I packaged it well and started rumours on Facebook about its beneficial effects, do you think there are women out there who are both desperate enough about holding back the "ravages of time" and credulous enough to buy this sort of crap? :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Go for it Peter! And if you need extra supplies....
alan refail
KG Regular

You could market it as Faecepak :lol:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

That's a crap name for a product :!:
peter
KG Regular

Have to admit it is bad, so bad it stinks! :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Bren
KG Regular

didn't see many slugs or snails last year,hope they are gone to visit somewhere else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic