Slugs.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

retropants
KG Regular

I can't quite bring myself to collect a bucket full to take elsewhere, the thought makes me nauseated!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

if you are collecting them in a bucket and want to kill them half fill the bucket with water and put a few generous squirts of washing up liquid in before you start. They climb out if you only use water but the washing up liquid makes them drown very quickly so is fairly humane. You can then compost them if you like but they are a bit stinky while they are rotting down if you don't cover them up well.

I still prefer to set them free. I did notice quite a lot of slugs on the pavement between where I threw the bucket full and my house, so perhaps they were on their way back. Hope no one slipped on them :twisted:
melliff
KG Regular

I always plant out young plants surrounded by a plastic collar cut from plastic bottles. In previous years this has been fairly effective against slugs but this year they seem very adept at climbing the collars.

Anyone know of a translucent cream or gel that I could smear around the collar that would deter them? Vaseline? Lard? Vic's Vapour Rub?
Santa_stunt_double
KG Regular

Are they climbing the collars, or emulating the great escape in reverse, by tunneling under?

Paul
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm sure someone said if WD40, or the like, is sprayed onto barriers it will stop them.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Ooh! Interesting OH! I have a tin of that in the greenhouse, so will give it a go. I'll put it around the top edge of the propagators. Thank you.
Gerry
KG Regular

Has anyone had success with the grapefruit skins?

I have tried it for the first time and have had eight skins down, in my greenhouse and tunnel,for the last two weeks and have caught one keel slug. I reckon I'd have better results with a stone.

The grapefruit were the pink variety. Could that make a difference? Perhaps they're more partial to the ordinary type.

Regards, Gerry.
Gerry
KG Regular

Obviously an old wives tale then.

Regards, Gerry.
JohnN
KG Regular

Only female slugs go for the pink grapefruit :D
alan refail
KG Regular

JohnN wrote:Only female slugs go for the pink grapefruit :D

ALL slugs are male AND female.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic