Moss in tarmac

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

any ideas on how to get rid of moss in a tarmac driveway. I have tried grass moss killer but it just came back again.

Many thanks

Tracie :roll:
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Bleach. Whatever you kill it with, though, you'll be left with dead moss. You can brush it off with a yard brush and sand, or with a power washer. If an area is prone to moss, you cannot realistically remove it for good for as long as conditions remain for it to grow — the spores will always drift back and start again. Which is to say, your lawn moss killer may have worked, and may be effective again, but what you might be seeing is re-colonisation.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Dilute Jeyes Fluid will kill moss and algae on paths but if the conditions don't change it will be back. Clear any overhanging branches and generally improve air flow in the area if you can. If it's just because it's on the shady side of the house you will have to treat on a regular basis.

MW
Sim209209
KG Regular

Moss will grow where it is wet and cool so prevention would involve improving drainage and allowing more sunlight to the area. This might not always be possible.
There are 3 ways that I know of to remove the moss, you can manually remove it by brushing (hard work), pressure wash it (could potentially damage the surface), or use chemicals. The best way I think is to use a chemical and the best I know is MMC pro
Gardening Blog - SJ Groundcare (https://simonjarvis.co.uk/gardening-blog/). This is a link to an article I wrote on the subject for my blog
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic