Chlorosis on Raspberry

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elaine
KG Regular

Last year our Joan Jay Raspberries had yellowing of the leaves between the veins and again this year. Reading up on it, it's likely to be caused by the extreme rainfall last year, leaching out the magnesium or manganese from the soil....and I will have made it worse by adding sulphate of potash in early spring, it seems. The book gives good advice regarding the stuff to use to remedy it.
It didn't affect the fruit yield last year and this years crop looks promising too but I would like to get it sorted out for next year
As far as I know, the pH level is around 7.
Has anyone else had this problem? What would you recommend?
Happy with my lot
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

What stuff does the book recommend you apply? I suggest Epsom salts, which is most effective, and quick acting, applied as a foliar spray. It's not so unusual to see chlorosis (yellowing) towards the end of the season and it don't necessarily signify any particular malaise or deficiency. It can look ugly but it doesn't necessarily affect yield or general health.

If your raspberries were a summer-fruiting variety (that is, fruiting on the previous year's canes) then the leaves yellow as the exhausted canes expire. The canes should be removed when they have finished fruiting, to favour this year's canes.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Felix. Thanks for your reply.
The RHS book says to use a foliar spray of magnesium sulphate or apply direct to the soil (it gives amounts etc) for magnesium deficiency.

For the manganese problem, it recommends spraying with a solution of manganese sulphate (again it gives amounts etc) or "apply a chelated compound or a fertilizer containing trace elements in chelated form." :?:

The raspberries are autumn fruiting and all of the canes are cut down in February/March.
Happy with my lot
John
KG Regular

Hello Elaine
As others have suggested I would try giving your rasps a dose of epsom salts. You should see an noticeable improvement fairly quickly.
If this doesn't work then it is possible that a lack of iron may be the cause.
The symptoms are very similar.
These elements are not often deficient in the soil but at times of rapid growth and fruit formation the plant may not be able to take up the nutrients fast enough particularly if the soil has become dry.
You can get iron treatments from the garden centres they are usually called 'sequestered iron' or similar. They are a bit pricey so try the cheaper epsom salts first.
Just to complicate things even further feeding with high potassium fertilizers, sold to encourage good fruit formation, can limit the uptake of magnesium.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Elaine
KG Regular

Thank you John. That all makes sense. They have been fed with potassium and it has been very dry....though I have watered them regularly.
I will give the good old Epsom salts a try.
Thanks again folks.
Happy with my lot
Geoff
KG Regular

I think raspberries almost always look like they are suffering when really they are not coming to much harm. Feeding them once or twice weekly with tomato fertiliser when they are working hardest seems to make them look a bit better (this year I am using Bumper Crop 6-12-36 +TE+ Cao which has kept them quite green). I only grow Autumn raspberries and started feeding when they first flowered.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic