breezing in...

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pongeroon
KG Regular

...after ages not posting, as if nothing had happened :D
Hello.
Anyone else got rubbish garlic? Ours are undersized (very) and some have gone rotten (neck end, not roots). The ground grew fennel last year, I think, and was well dug over and fertilised with garden compost and blood fish and bone, and the garlic was watered properly. Dunno what went wrong. Any ideas?
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Pongeroon,

Possible over-feeding? Compost and FBB could have been a bit much for it and caused some rot. Don't know about the undersized bulbs though, did you use 'proper' seed garlic or just split a grocer's garlic? Some of the chinese bulbs around don't seem to do well in our climate.

Anyway, welcome back!

MW
Westi
KG Regular

Mine were actually quite good - over wintered well! BUT had taken advice from IOW garlic at New Forest show last year which was just put it in your ground as is & not fed & leave it be & then in spring give it a bit of a feed. So soil not particularly good over winter but a little burst when warming up makes it swell!

(Unfortunately didn't go to show this year & person I asked to get some more bulbs for me said not there but will give their advice another go just to test on bulbs I get from lottie shop!)

Westi
Westi
pongeroon
KG Regular

Thanks for your help, MW and Westi.
The bulbs were from IOW, which was one reason why I was so disappointed in the result. I think maybe in previous years I have not been so conscientious about preparing the ground, and maybe that suited the garlic better. So I will revert to my more usual laissez-faire attitude next year and hope for good garlic :lol:
Motherwoman
KG Regular

That's it, just give a gallic shrug and poke them in!

MW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic