Wasp Trap

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

phill
KG Regular

Good afternoon people!!
Am after some advice re: a suitable wasp trap for my fruit but without trapping lacewing and hoverflies, both of which seem to do a grand job keeping the aphids etc at bay. I get a lot of problems in the Raspberry patch but more recently around the Strawberries in my greenhouse.
alan refail
KG Regular

Unless they become a pest in the autumn, my advice would be to leave them be. They are good pollinators and eat some pests to feed their young.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with Alan - wasps are great pest destroyers and, unless you are a threat to them, they will leave you alone. If you just want to entice them away from, say, your strawberries in your greenhouse, I would put a saucer with some jam or syrup somewhere near which will keep them away from your fruit!
phill
KG Regular

Hi people, sorry for the delay in replying but many thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Pennyroyal
KG Regular

Hi

What about trying a 'Waspinator' - it's a thing that looks like a wasps' nest, and is supposed to deter wasps - they think that they will be attacked if they go near. You can buy them, but I have seen a paper bag, blown up and tied, used to do the same thing (no good in the rain!). They have t go up early in the spring before nests are established.

I quite like wasps, and they do a good job in the garden, shame so many people don't like them.
Flanjamin
KG Regular

I've used the waspinator - it seemed to work for a while, but couldn't hold out against the temptations of outdoor eating in late summer, wasps everywhere. It does look very silly though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic