Seedling disaster.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

FelixLeiter wrote: What sort are you growing, Richard? The pot marigold (Caldendula) is hardy and seeds itself, but the tender ones are French and African (Tagetes). These need bringing on under glass. They readily tend towards purple if they get too cold,.

I'm growing both Felix, I didn't know which to choose and both are mentioned for complimentary-planting. Certainly the pot marigold sprouted more quickly and looked more healthy than Tagetes.

After just 24 hours in a new compost mix Tagetes is now looking better.

I just checked my broad-bean plants last night, all looking healthy, roots filling the pots to the point they need to go in the ground but I noticed that one of them had half a leaf nibbled-away. I did a big search for slug but didn't find any.

It's started, time to get the armaments out.

Oh-yes, the sea-buckthorn looks as if it's happy with lots of buds sprouting and it's already acting to slow the wind down because I close-planted. Sometimes four plants to the metre and at least three. Each bare-root plant was at least two foot high above the soil level then each plant has one or two canes helping to support it. Most definitely slowing the 20 knots plus southerly wind (We have forecasts for 45 knots gust-speeds) down this morning and helping to protect my garlic and onion some of which are nine inches high.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Your salty sea spray does ask me though - got any asparagus in?? They are originally a coastal plant and love a top dressing of seaweed.

I needed time to think about an answer to this suggestion, I love asparagus though from what little i've read so far it sounds like I need to commit to another raised bed and though I have the space and I also have other stuff I would like to grow that needs a commitment like horseradish and more herbs I doubt I have the work and finance in me this year after dealing with the sea buckthorn windbreak.

Enthusiasm kept me going and I wouldn't attempt to illustrate how hard it's been digging and de-stoning that planting-trench.

Right-now I have a month to prepare for a two week trip to Tiree, I have a lot of stuff I need to get into the ground so my nearest neighbour won't have too much responsibility looking after it whilst i'm gone walkabout. Just as well I didn't take to chickens yet, Eh ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

You're determination is admirable - my asparagus is in sandy soil & looks like you'd expect in the supermarket but I believe it wasn't always like that - it doesn't only grow on nice sandy beaches but have seen it on cobbles & stuff so don't think you have to be too righteous! If you don't mind a few bends in the spears I'd be thinking your neck of the woods offers the right environment. I'm thinking you won't get asparagus beetle up there so advantage over me! :)

Good Luck Richard
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi wrote:. I'm thinking you won't get asparagus beetle up there so advantage over me! :)

Good Luck Richard

Something relevant has happened for me to bring this thread back to life, 35 knots southerly and horizontal rain that stings has kept me indoors and reading my RHS manuals. I have to say I have some good reading available but you can only lead the horse to water.

I have just read and re-read complete paragraphs and six pages in total, two for each subject, watering, fertiliser and hygiene and come to the conclusion I have done just about everything wrong and whilst some of the advise recommends a build-up of experience there is actually rules that are written in stone. Regarding just watering seeds, seedlings and potted plants this RHS article refers to the difficulties for even the professional.

On the other hand most other places I look, magazines, seed packets, compost bags etc-etc, i'm being warned to keep watering my plants.

Another problem is the the mediums we buy to grow our seeds and plants, we assume and rely on the manufacturer to produce a fit-for-purpose product but is going to test this product.

Clearly and without exception all my seedling have presented blue-ish/purple tinges to the leaves which is typical of phosphate deficiency and phosphate is the only nutrient content you expect to find in a seed compost. Presumably a more balanced set of nutrients is to be expected in a multi-purpose.

Ok-Ok, I know this sounds like i'm trying to lay the blame for my failures onto compost, from what I learnt last year and confirmed this year it's healthy to be cynical about compost and what a shame when you consider what a massive market it is. I can also confirm that our local garden centre who raise a lot of plants from seed do not use the stuff they sell out front.
Richard.
retropants
KG Regular

I bought some seed compost last week, a type that I have not used all that much, and this week, after being open, then tied up closed as I always do, there is white mould all over the compost and what I can only describe as bright yellow flying saucers or trumpets growing on the surface in clusters. I can't return it, as I did not keep the receipt, as it was OK when I opened it.

so, basically Richard, I feel your pain, compost ain't what it used to be.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

retropants wrote: there is white mould all over the compost and what I can only describe as bright yellow flying saucers or trumpets growing on the surface in clusters.

Scandalous and It's a good point, what would be the point in the level of hygiene recommended by my advisors on this forum and a whole page by RHS on the subject when the compost we buy already contains dodgy organisms.

I suppose even at this learning stage in my garden efforts i'm an expert compared to the thousands of people going to the garden centre to buy compost and plants for a bit of a summer show and buying stuff in good-faith. When the plants rot at the stem they'll blame themselves when in fact the idea of seed and potting composts is give us an easy life by de-skilling the procedure of making a sterile planting medium.

Last year we had reports of lumps of plastic and glass in the peat-free and of course the fear of contamination which is why i've gone back to using peat.

I wonder if spending twice as much on this product gives us twice the quality ?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic