The Spanish slug

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Colin, we have a huge number of them here, they have been present for about four years now. :x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

You don't need many in a sandwich :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Hi OH - will have to look out for them when I am next in Clapham.
JohnN
KG Regular

That Telegraph piece says they can be up to 10 inches long. Are they serious? I'm just off down the pub, I won't be back! :shock:
The Mouse
KG Regular

I still haven't totally recovered from encountering a 6-inch long black slug when I was a child, so the thought of those 10-inch monsters is going to give me nightmares! :shock:

I have seen quite a few orange slugs around - including one which I picked up, mistaking it for a carrot - but so far nothing quite so horrendous, thank goodness.

Not sure what to make of the article, though - this sentence has left me wondering what exactly counts as "humane" when it comes to dispaching these pests: Experts say hand-picking can be just as effective, killing the slugs humanely by dropping them into a bucket of hot water.
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Not seen one yet, but my ducks might have eaten a few ! khaki campbell and indian runner ducks are excellent predators of slugs - but don't let them near your lettuce !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic