Apples

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Can anyone tell me why the skins on my Rev. Wilks apples are so marked this year? The flesh inside is fine and nothing wrong. All perfectly useable as usual exept for baking, a bit unsightly. This really is a delicious apple and I think, far better than the Bramley for cooking and an excellent eater.

Beryl.
Attachments
IMG_0974 apples.jpg
IMG_0974 apples.jpg (17.32 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Beryl

Looks like bitter pit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_pit

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Beryl
KG Regular

I don't think so Alan. It is only on the surface of the skin. I have seen Bitter Pit before. But I will keep it in mind - thanks.

Beryl.
Monika
KG Regular

Just a thought: did you have some heavy hailstorms? And are the marks only on one side?
Beryl
KG Regular

Not that I can remember Monika.
Another point why I don't think it is Bitter pit. The fruit is so sweet and juicy. If it was the Bitter pit it would taste sour.

I would be grateful for any more ideas.

Thanks
Beryl.
donedigging
KG Regular

This is only a guess but could it be wasps?
donedigging
peter
KG Regular

Scab?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

Not seen any wasps about.
Have looked up Scab in Dr Hessayon's bible and he says there will be large corky areas developing as the fruit matures.
This didn't really happen until the fruit was getting ready to harvest.

It's a puzzler but thanks for your thoughts.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

Beryl - I have a tree that has done the same. I thought bitter pit but flesh is perfect just the skins marked. What a strange year we are having!

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

I agee Westie. I shall be glad when this one is over. Roll on 2013

Beryl.
Geoff
KG Regular

In an old book I have "Fruit Cultivation for Amateurs" Hilary M Hughes 1951 there is a b/w photograph of lenticel spot that looks quite similar but I can't find it in the text of the book (it has a limited index). If I Google it I find this http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/pub ... /QIC51.pdf which isn't quite right and not UK and there is also this fine collection of spots to choose from http://apples.hdc.org.uk/pdfs/disorders ... 2007:53:50 In summary - stumped though it does look as though a few of these spots, like bitter pit, are related to Calcium deficiency so you could try liming (I lime my Apples every year because my high rainfall and acid soil encourage bitter pit).
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

There is a lot of scab on the apples this year, probably with it being so wet. Some varieties seem to be more resilient than others, but the more susceptible ones are quite a mess this year. They are fine to use when peeled, but go bad very quickly if you try to store them, so try and use them up as soon as possible. Try not to leave any lying on the ground that fall off so there are fewer spores etc to carry over to next year.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff for the info and Plumpudding.

I still don't think it is scab or bitter bit. The consensus today on the allotment is poor germination through lack of bees and insects earlier on.
I think maybe Plumpudding is right in a way and we will put it down to bad weather.
I have been busy using up all my apples now. Some added to chutney and the rest have gone in the freezer lightly cooked for use later in pies etc.

Lets hope for a better season next year.

Thanks for all you input.

Beryl.
glallotments
KG Regular

Our apples seem to have more skin problems than usual this year
Westi
KG Regular

The only apple not affected is my russet - which I put down to having a thicker skin than the others so maybe it is more related to some sort of insect or weather damage?? Just a thought...

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic