Hornworm on tomatoes.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

My grandaughter in America posted on Facebook she had Hornworms on her tomatoes. Large green caterpillars. This was not a pest I had ever heard of so did a Google on them. Sound nasty.
Another case of the grandchildren teaching the grandparents.
Beryl.

'Tomato Hornworm, Manduca quinquemaculata. However, the tomato hornworm and tobacco hornworm Manduca sexta, are often confused with each other. They are very similar in appearance and both attack members of the Solanaceae family. The tomato hornworm is three to four inches long at full size (likely to be the biggest caterpillar we see in our gardens) and green in color with white v-shaped marks along its sides. A black "horn" projects from the rear of the caterpillar. Tobacco hornworms have diagonal white stripes and a red "horn."
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

My miniature peaches got munched by a caterpillar and it was in the greenhouse, wasn't expecting that! Will watch out for those little B***gers next year as they ripen! do we get hornworm in UK?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi NB,

Hormworm is just the American name for a hawk moth caterpillar owing to the horn shaped appendage at the end of the caterpillar's body.

Wish I had some on my tomatoes :)
All I ever get is Tomato Moth and Silver Y Moth :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks PJ for giving them our name. I now know what we are talking about. Not sure I would want them on my tomatoes though. If my granddaughter is right they can destroy a plant over night.

Berryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic