Leek moth and carrot fly

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Has anyone noticed the absence of the leek moth and carrot fly this year? I got so fed up with trying to keep fleece and netting from being destroyed by the wild life that all my carrots have been uncovered for several weeks now and half of the leeks. So far, and maybe I am speaking too soon, not a carrot fly or leek moth in sight. Another legancy of the weather? I wonder?

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

And although we don't appreciate them so have cabbage whites. Can't comment on Leek moth & carrot fly as kept my crops covered with environmesh.

But my brassicas have grown a bit tall and are a bit exposed but just not seeing any! Actually a bit concerned about all the pollinators all seem low in numbers.

Westi
Westi
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Have started to see a fair few Cabbage Whites in the last week or so. Thankfully the crops they like are under cover both here and at school.

As with Westi my carrots and leeks are under netting anyway and so carrot fly and leek moth aren't really an issue for me :D

Have quite a few bees and hoverflies around and about now though, so I guess the cooler weather had delayed their appearance somewhat.
Monika
KG Regular

Our carrots are under netting and we have never had leek moth, but, as you say, there have been fewer cabbage whites about, I think. Bees, bumble bees and other small insect numbers seem to have increased, but I don't think our butterflies will recover this year. The buddleias are in full flower now and should be full of the usual candidates, like small tortoiseshell, red admiral, peacock, comma and the occasional less common species, but all we have had are one small tortoiseshell and one small white ......

The meadow butterflies like small blue, large and small skipper, small copper and even meadow browns have been totally absent from our small village nature reserve this year with only ringlets fluttering over the grassy areas.
solway cropper
KG Regular

My carrots are under enviromesh and I've never seen a leek moth but the cabbage whites have just exploded out of nowhere this last week. I've killed seven in the greenhouse today and found all the young brassicas for planting out had eggs on them.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

This time last year most of the leeks on our allotment site had been decimated by leek moth. This year, there has been no sign yet. Mine are under debris netting this year and are looking good. Hopefully they will stay that way :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Daveswife
KG Regular

Yes, early signs of leek moth on a couple of leeks but we had them covered with fleece until 4 weeks ago. I took it off because a fox decided to use the fleece as a trampoline and a toilet! The plants are absolutely pathetic, skinny things. And the onion tops have all been chomped but at least the onions have filled out.

Is there anything we can do to deter the leek moth other than cover with fleece?
Angie
Beryl
KG Regular

Sorry to hear Daveswife your leeks have been attacked. I don't think there is anything to prevent it other than fleece or enviromesh but some people have had success with cutting them down to about 3 or 4 " when attacked. They will regrow but they won't be quite as big as normal but you will have a usable leek.
Beryl.
Beryl
KG Regular

It was good to read in the the Oct. issue of TKG a sensible and comprehensive article on the Leek Moth at last.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, i agree with you about the article being good.

I must admit, i think all of Lucy Hallidays articles are very well written and informative. And it's got nothing to do with me thinking she has a cheeky grin, that makes me comment so... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

first time suffering leek moth on the plot this year. i noticed some damage so I cut them down to about 3". They recovered to some degree, but I obviously didn't get all the little blighters, as the pupae are in the stems of some plants. all plants are small and feeble, most split and unuseable.
Beryl
KG Regular

Leek month can be so devasting. Just when you need to have something fresh in the winter too. The only answer is to clear the ground, don't compost them and don't grow in the same place next time. Keep them covered at all times with fleece or envriomesh till at least the end of October.

Beryl.
retropants
KG Regular

thanks Beryl, we are in the process of building some wooden frames and stapling enviromesh onto them as crop covers. (the mesh is a few years old, so I don't feel too bad cutting it up!)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic