Mouse problem

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Mouse problem

Postby Monika » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 pm

Our unheated greenhouse now has a large number of pots planted with spring bulbs and, unfortunately, our local mice have discovered them! There is no way I can exclude the mice from the greenhouse - is there any smell they particularly dislike like mothballs, black pepper, camphor? I have tried sprinkling the pots with yellow sulphur but that doesn't seem to deter them from digging into the soil.
Our garden is bordered on two sides by tall dry stone walls which are full of mice, so catching them in traps would be an endless job. Last year I caught 22 mice in as many days, then I gave up ......
0 x
Diane
KG Regular

Re: Mouse problem

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:46 am

I can only suggest that you cover the pots with small mesh wire if that's possible.
0 x
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

Postby robo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Sticky boards are good but not kind to the mice
0 x
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 pm

How infuriating! I wonder if Jeyes Fluid would deter them. Or perhaps some nasty cheap perfume if you have any which may have been an unwanted present which could be drizzled over the surface of the compost. Moths are alleged not to like lavender in wardrobes. I suspect mice are more resilient though.
In the short term, before the bulbs show through, could you put sheets of plastic, glass or some old aluminium plates or saucepan lids over the surface of the pots to prevent mice being able to access the compost?
1 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:35 pm

It will be more protecting the bulbs than repelling the mice I would think. Any hanging baskets you can put over the pots with mesh or netting staked over it into the edges of the pot, or maybe some cloches with something taped over the vent? I bought some plastic ones quite cheaply which wouldn't fair outside very well but would be fine under cover. Or trap any in the greenhouse & release & then cover any ventilation points you need to leave open?
0 x
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Postby Monika » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm

Many thanks for all the advice. I have now moved all the pots onto the top shelves in the greenhouse and I think that, and sprinkling on more yellow sulphur, has kept the little blighters off, but I will check them every morning.
1 x

Return to “Weeds, Pests and Diseases”