Slug control

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

IDKWIDG
KG Regular

Slug control

Postby IDKWIDG » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Hello

I'm just flicking through the Jan 2019 issue of KG and I notice the RHS say that home remedies such as eggshells don't work on slugs. I wanted to try and help out to see if I can pass on any knowledge for potential slug control as well as all the methods I tried as maybe someone here might get some use out of it.

Oatmeal

If I was going to present the most insane one first, it would be oatmeal. The trick is that oatmeal is incredibly dry, and swells up when wet, so you can imagine what happens inside an unfortunate slug. Sadly, incredibly wet soils, wet or windy weather and the time of day all have a negative impact on the oats at large.

The good thing about Oatmeal is slugs love them, they are a natural attractive used even in slug pellets, not only that, once ingested by the slug, they begin to swell and move at a... Snails... Pace... Another good thing is you've just made a tasty (and chemical free) treat for a bird, win win situation surely?

Milk

Now many people are aware that slugs love a good pint, however did you know that the tea total ones like milk? If you make a beer trap with milk, please be sure to stop other animals from getting in as you wouldn't want to make hedgehogs ill now would you?

Black Bag Buffet

Do you have many slugs? Are you lazy? Good! This applies to me too. Gather a whole bunch of slug goodies, cabbage, oats, eggshells and the like and put them inside a black bag, alternatively, use a compostible green bag for better benefit to the environment. Put the bag on the floor like an oversized trap and leave it there for a while, slugs will go in and stay there as it is dark, full of food and safely covered. After a day or two, put whatever is in the bag (or the tied up green bag) into your green bin at home, you could alternatively pass it onto someone at the allotment or local function that you don't like and say that it is your "Prize winning compost accelerator" or some other fib.

Children

It's a known fact that children stay indoors too much and it is also a known fact that children will do anything for money. Simply hire some small children to check over your garden or plot and pay them by slug to increase slug capture rates. Ensure children haven't cut slugs in half attempting to double their financial yield.

Salt

You don't really need to know the science behind the classic, but go out at night and be sure to sprinkle some salt on every slug you see as they slowly die, if you like, cackle madly like a bond villain, however please be mindful of people sleeping nearby. It's worth noting that plants don't like salt either, so keep this away from any plants you may wish to keep.

Chopsticks

It's a known fact that everyone loves Chinese food and at some point, they decide that it would be a good move to purchase some chopsticks so that they can eat Chinese food at home, the problem is, after a month of Chinese food and simply using a knife and fork, those bamboo chopsticks go down the right hand side of the utensil drawer and ignored ad infinitum.

If you want to make use of these and you don't like holding slugs, simply pick them up in the weirdest reference to the Karate kid the world has ever seen. Not particularly dexterous? No problem, simply sharpen one end with a pencil sharpener and skewer every slug you find, leaving the stick out as a treat for nearby birds.

Dead Slug Trap

It's a weird fact that slugs are drawn towards dead slugs, so if you kill a slug on your plot, the nearby slugs will sniff out your slug and eat him and then, the other 5 or so slugs you brought onto your plot will now begin to feast on your veggies and you've created a problem more than fixed one.

In order to house and kill slugs, simply grab a brick and put it down so the hollow bit is at the bottom, then, the next day, pick it up, turn it upside down and drop it on the slugs. Turn the brick around again then rinse and repeat the next day.

This one is a bit messy, so you can hire Children (See earlier entry) to clean this for you, as long as they don't try picking any of the dead ones up and using those for extra pocket money.

So do you have any effective slug control methods?
3 x
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Re: Slug control

Postby oldherbaceous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:56 pm

I normally just let nature get on with things but, I do lay a few roofing tiles and squares of wood about, and just check underneath every so often and squash any slugs that are there....
1 x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Diane
KG Regular

Postby Diane » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm

I like the idea of the black bag buffet - brilliant idea. I wonder what you could charge for them on Gumtree? :lol:
1 x
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Made me giggle IDKWIDG! Very descriptive! You could have the makings of a dissertation in that! :)
1 x
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Postby PLUMPUDDING » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Nightly slug patrols on a few successive nights with rubber gloves, a bucket of water with detergent in it and a torch will reduce their numbers dramatically. They die quickly in the detergent and don t try climbing out of the bucket. I reduced the count from 1,700+ on the first night to 2 or three hundred on successive nights. I've a half acre garden and the first slug patrol took an hour and a half.

I sometimes put little heaps of bran near susceptible young plants which is supposed to swell the same as porridge oats inside them.

A few boards or something flat are good hiding places and make them easy to find in the daytime as OH says. Half grapefruit skins serve the same purpose.

I'd be bankrupt if I paid children per slug but wouldn't let them loose in the garden after dark when the slugs come out anyway.

Stamping on them is quite satisfying if rather messy and a quicker end than using salt which seems cruel.

Hair clippings from the hair dresser sprinkled thickly round newly emerging delphinium shoots is a good deterrent until it gets wet.

I could go on but am probably being boring now. :)
1 x
robo
KG Regular

Postby robo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm

We have a resident toad in the pollytunnel slugs are not much of a problem it's a pity it won't eat mice
0 x

Return to “Weeds, Pests and Diseases”