Which gardening books do you recomend ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Beryl
KG Regular

I don't think we ever stop learning Smurfy. It's good to get ideas and inspiration but at the end of the day you do whats best for you.
Enjoy your veggie plot.

Beryl.
Elaine
KG Regular

I love the "Doctor" books and have collected several of them over the years, for various aspects of gardening....I always recommend this series to folks who are new to gardening, be it flowers or vegetables/fruit.

Slightly off topic...have you seen the latest "Doctor" book?
"The Garden To Kitchen Expert. It's absolutely marvellous with lots of info and oodles of recipes to try, for both fruit and vegetables.
ISBN 798-0-903-50592-5. £9.99, (though I got it on special offer in W.H. Smiths earlier this year. :D )
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Sounds cool Elaine, it's always useful to glean different ideas for using veg and fruit, I will look out fot that one next time I am shopping. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Smurfy
KG Regular

Thanks for that Elaine,

I hadn't seen that book and it's my birthday in a couple of days - might be dropping a few hints to Mr Smurfy!
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

Although an infrequent contributor to the Forum these days I can't resist this topic having just sent a copy of the Hessayon Vegetable and Herb Gardening book to my son He is becoming interested in growing vegetables and I reckon that this is still the single best basic reference book.

The quality lies in the multi-media format which conveys maximum information in a very accessible way whist still being readable. I have plenty of other books and always check out the new ones - but this remains the best.

It does however need a bit of an up date in terms of varieties and the different ways of growing - beds containers etc. require more emphasis and there should be more on growing under cover. The latest version is very similar to the 1985 version that I still refer to - an update might see people like me investing in a new one.

Chris
Chris
Monika
KG Regular

Do you know, Chris, I was looking at our Dr Hessyan's herb and vegetable book yesterday and I had the same thought about the required update - I would add green manures and take out the "unusual vegetables" and incorporate them in the other vegetables. Many of them are now quite commonplace, rather than "unusual".
Chris
KG Regular

Hi Monica - totally agree - it would be a shame if this classic book failed to keep up with present needs.

Chris
Chris
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

When did they update it last, Chris, mine is quite old. :(
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Chris
KG Regular

Hi NB

The one I bought last week was updated in 2009. Most is the same as earlier editions - and over 5.7 million have been printed over the years.

Chris
Chris
Shallot Man
KG Regular

re update, if buying from a garden centre, check print date, some are quite old.
Stephen
KG Regular

I'm not convinced that I know enough to recomend one book over another but those that I reach for most often are the RHS & Hessayon ones. I have both vegetable and fruit versions in both cases.
I use Caroline Foley's Allotment Handbook and Andy Clevely's book too.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Steven, even after decades oF gardening we never stop learning. I am getting to know achocha this year, I think I will grow it outside next year, my garden is sheltered, and it seems to be a great attraction for hoverflies. It seems pretty vigorous and trouble free.
By Thomas Huxley
Stephen
KG Regular

NB, I think you are more adventurous than I. However, you are right about always learning.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic