Wicker Man Taunton

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi everyone :D

Just returned from my hols in Cornwall :D on the way down the M5, We always look forward to seeing the Wicker Man at Taunton, This year we were greeted to this :shock:

http://www.itv.com/westcountry-east/lat ... mark53755/

It came as bit of a shock to say the least :shock: :evil:

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Arnie, somehow it seems to have lost a bit of it's mystique now. :evil:

Hope you had a good holiday whilst in Cornwall. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Just to point out that the Withyman is at Bridgwater (Somerset's Premier Town) and not Taunton.

( May seem pedantic to some but not to those born in Bridgwater)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Man

My own view is that the colour is a total disaster, I can not understand how planners can argue that it blends into the lanscape of the Levels, it clearly stands out like a sore thumb. That is not to say that the other many large buildings recently erected coloured bright blue or grey fair any better, they do not. The colour that all these buildings should be is a dark olive green like many of the large agricultural buildings have been coloured for years and these buildings do truely blend into the landscape of Somerset. This montrosity, like all the others, is obviosly designed by Townies for Townies that have no appreciation of our once tranquil contryside, no wonder the wickerman is running from it, perhaps he has planted a bomb under this eyesore.

Best wishes

Barney
Last edited by Cider Boys on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pongeroon
KG Regular

We too were very suprised on our way down to Padstow the weekend before last. We have always loved the wicker man, but he seems so diminished now :(

I rather hope he gets moved a bit further along, and is soon looming large and alone again.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

The apple harvest is sure to suffer.
the custodian
KG Regular

i used to travel passed the wicker man almost on a daily basis when i used to drive the prison van he was always a sign of being nearly home now he looks more like a sign of the times!!!

i hope the plant some very large trees (maybe apple trees) infront of the building as an attempt to hide it.
if at first you dont succeed try a mint!!!
Tigger
KG Regular

At the risk of offending anyone, I thought it was a really good way to get such a large building to blend in with the landscape when I went past it on my monthly trip to Taunton for a regional meeting.

Much as I appreciate the wicker man, I don't like the shape or the disproportionate size of his legs. :oops:
Cider Boys
KG Regular

That is the point Tigger, it does not blend in with the surrounding countryside.

(Why do you all keep referring to the Bridgwater Willow Man as the Taunton Wicker Man?)

Barney
freddy
KG Regular

Cider Boys wrote:This montrosity, like all the others, is obviosly designed by Townies for Townies that have no appreciation of our once tranquil contryside,

Are you suggesting that folks that live in towns are ignorant?
The future aint all it used to be
Tigger
KG Regular

I think it does blend in with the countryside Cider Boys. Obviously others don't agree.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

If it blends in so well, why do all so many people notice it?

Barney
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic