Allotment hedge advice

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Having managed to get a second 80m lot of chain-link fencing out of our council, we have to install it ourselves, I am looking at allowable ways of making our boundary spiky and un-climable.

For those that do not know barbed wire is a no-no these days.

I hope to get some mixed hedging , out of the council, with hawthorn, dog-rose and blackthorn. However I would like something a bit more decorative each side of the gates.

I was thinking of a vigerous pyracanthus or a hedgehog holly.

We are on a north-facing slope, heavy clay, east-west shallow valley with trees/houses each side, oh and its a bit of a frost pocket.

Any advice on my favoured plants or some better suggestions please.
Diane
KG Regular

I'd go for the vigorous pyracanthus - it grows quickly, whereas holly is a bit slower.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
peterf
KG Regular

hi peter.try a berberis theres several varieties the leaf and berries are stunning this time of year.the thorns on them are wicked,local crime prevention copper calls them (burglararis disembowelis)think about it :lol: ive got several different varieties growing on my bit.peterf
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Peter,
I agree with the berberis, pyracantha can grow 6-8 ft a year when it is established (and who will volunteer to prune it?). The reason it is called fire thorn is because when you are bitten by the thorns it stings like fire! Another shrub to consider might be one of the shrub roses such as rosa rugosa or R. fruhlingsgold.
Regards Sally Wright.
Linda
KG Regular

I'd go for Rosa rugosa - so pretty in flower and smells lovely too. Lucky you to be able to squeeze useful stuff out of your council - we have to apply for grants and our latest one, for hedge plants, has been turned down. Looks like the old fence made of concrete re-inforcing mesh will have to stay for now!!

Love and compost
Linda
Love and Compost
Linda
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic