Gardening Gloves

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Can someone recommend a decent pair of gloves that will last more than a few weeks? I am currently buying cheapies as get really annoyed when expensive ones get holes but this isn't very economic as they last even less time.

They constantly wear out at the tips so my nails are constantly grubby (not a good look for a nurse), and the other wear spot is the inner side of the thumb from pushing the hoe around.

Thanks Westi
Westi
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Hover around the emergency entrance to A & E. Bound to be a few motorcyclists not wanting their gloves for a while! :? There are some new M/C gloves on the market that are just about impregnable.

How about those special gloves used by slaughterhouse men to stop them cutting their fingers. Also impregnable. :shock: Cheers, Tony.
glallotments
KG Regular

I got some from our local nursery that are great. They are a sort of suede texture but unlike other gloves of that type don't go hard after they have got wet. I haven't got the tag that was attached to them but I know it said something like "stays soft even after washing"

I have one pair for the allotment and one pair for the garden and have had them longer than I have managed to keep any other gardening gloves.They looked a bit like these http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/tools-equipment/gloves/ladies-gloves/ladies-washable-gloves.aspx but they didn't cost as much.
DiG
KG Regular

I use Showa Thermo 451 as a general purpose glove. They are washable and the rubberised palm and finger coating give a good grip. I have use these for bricklaying and heavy work as well as gardening and they have lasted a reasonable time. For really heavy duty work and for dealing with brambles and thorny material I use Polyglove Nemesis. They are not as good they used to be but they are still the best we have found to protect against thorns. They can be difficult to get on at first but do 'give' after a while. Have used 'Goldleaf' in the past which are very good and lovely to wear but they don't last very long and are very expensive.

Hope this helps.
the custodian
KG Regular

i use a pair of N.I gloves most good army surplus stores stock them as northern ireland gloves they have an extra square foam pad on the knuckles.
if at first you dont succeed try a mint!!!
Beryl
KG Regular

I used Kitchen/Household gloves by Glovies. They last for ever but when they get a leak I use them for gardening. very strong, waterproof and cotton lined.

http://www.ramonhygiene.co.uk/retail_pr ... elies.html

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic